Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Radio help

Old 08-09-2015, 02:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My radio cuts out on just every little bump there is and even cut out when coming to stop! I checked connection on back of radio and all look good. I believe a speaker wire might have rub on some where and is worn through and shorting speaker out? When it does this it does not lose power, because display does not flicker at all. How can I check to find out what and where? It is base model radio and I replaced radio so that should not be cause?

Last edited by GunDude; 08-09-2015 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If all the speakers are cutting out I doubt it's a speaker wire short. If it only happens when playing the radio I would check the antenna connections.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
If all the speakers are cutting out I doubt it's a speaker wire short. If it only happens when playing the radio I would check the antenna connections.
it also did it when I used aux to play music off phone. So, to me that ruled out antenna cable.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:58 AM
JK Junkie

So all the speakers cut out, no power loss, and happens radio and aux. Strange. When you replaced the stereo was it with another oem?
Old 08-09-2015, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

So all the speakers cut out, no power loss, and happens radio and aux. Strange. When you replaced the stereo was it with another oem?
yes, upgraded to better oem unit.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

If you added features (Sirius, Nav, etc.) I believe you need a flash.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

If you added features (Sirius, Nav, etc.) I believe you need a flash.
it has sirus and I did not extra antenna. The old radio did same thing! Funny thing is when coming to stop on smooth road surf it does it!! Like braking force it making wire come in contact with something. Guess going have try and look better behind and up under dash?
Old 08-09-2015, 01:46 PM
JK Junkie

When I replaced my base head unit, the stereo connector only had 5 wires besides the speaker wires; red, black, blue, yellow, and orange/white. Red for power and black for ground. Since you're not losing power you can eliminate those. It had a blue for amp turn on which is obviously not used. So the two remaining wires are what I would check. One was for the illumination circuit (orange/white I think) so it shouldn't be that so I suspect it's the yellow. Should be 12v IIRC. Make sure the pins are seated in the connector. If the wire can pull out from the back it is not seated.

Quick Reply: Radio help