Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Questions/input about plug-and-play LED spot lights for JK bumper

Old 01-26-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neZZr
I have no allegiance either way, but ignoring his input, the pictures and side-by-side video comparisons are hard to ignore. I don't know why he chose the dually over a D2, but considering the dually is considerably cheaper than the canon at least when I checked before making my purchase, I'd say the video makes the dually look pretty darn good compared to a more expensive product.

I have duallys on my a-pillar, but I'm honestly not 100% happy with their light output for the price paid. Compared to the MUCH cheaper Kawell lights my buddy put on his pickup, I'm even less impressed. I do at least have Rigid to stand behind the product, which my friends China lights don't have, but I really expected the duallys to be brighter and better focused.
I said it right from the beginning that he's a Vision X-biased vendor. Even comparing the new Vision X 7" headlight, he pits it against the JW Speaker Evo 1. Granted, this was a few months ago so perhaps the Evo 2 hadn't hit the shelves yet, but I would think someone in the lighting business would know of the new version coming and would either way to do a comparison video of the Vision X vs Evo 2 or at least just do a video review of the Vision X by itself. Otherwise, much like with the Rigid vs Vision X Light Cannon, it's apples vs very good apples. Not completely fair.

Last edited by Terry Hesticles; 01-26-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading all of this and other posts I see, makes me wonder why guys post questions asking for help and when someone tries to help the person asking seems to know everything??? Why bother to ask for help?
Old 01-27-2015, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RockinRobin
Reading all of this and other posts I see, makes me wonder why guys post questions asking for help and when someone tries to help the person asking seems to know everything??? Why bother to ask for help?
Reading all of this and other posts I see, makes me wonder why guys post answers not answering questions regarding what someone has clearly stated that they're looking for. Why even bother trying to "help"?

I very clearly stated what I'm looking for and why, asking for pics/videos of spot patterns for the four lights from my original post and then asked if there are any other plug-and-play fogs that I'm not aware of. So far, of 3 pages, one guy has delivered, that person of which not being you.

Last edited by Terry Hesticles; 01-27-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinRobin View Post
Right...

Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles
Reading all of this and other posts I see, makes me wonder why guys post answers not answering questions regarding what someone has clearly stated that they're looking for. Why even bother trying to "help"?

I very clearly stated what I'm looking for and why, asking for pics/videos of spot patterns for the four lights from my original post and then asked if there are any other plug-and-play fogs that I'm not aware of. So far, of 3 pages, one guy has delivered, that person of which not being you.
You got some good ideas here, based on professional knowledge and experience. You just won't stop for a minute, listen and think.

By neZZr
I have duallys on my a-pillar, but I'm honestly not 100% happy with their light output for the price paid. Compared to the MUCH cheaper Kawell lights my buddy put on his pickup, I'm even less impressed. I do at least have Rigid to stand behind the product, which my friends China lights don't have, but I really expected the duallys to be brighter and better focused.
Rigid are among the few who make their lights for dependability & reliability.
They could have easily squeezed more Lumen out of each and every model, but that would reduce reliability.
It is analogue to engines: The more power you squeeze out of an engine, the shorter life it has.
If you want more Lumen, Rigid would rather have you get the next size step, and be happy with it for years. That’s the approach which I prefer and respect.

It’s up to us to choose between a cheap light and then just buy another when it fails, or a real good one that will work a very long time, and which won't "leave you in the dark" at the worst moment out there.

Last edited by GJeep; 01-27-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
You got some good advice, based on professional knowledge and experience. You just won't stop for a minute, listen and think.
I got some good advice, but it was for a question I never asked. The information was great, and I said before that you're not wrong, but it didn't come close to answering the question I asked. I may not be an engineer for the world's top automotive lighting manufacturer, but that doesn't mean I lack experience. The entire point of this thread is to find a plug-n-playable OEM foglight replacement for me to use when I'm camping on flat ground and for the flat backroads I frequent. Not for mountain trails, not for mudding, not for crawling, not for on-road use, not for cutting through fog, but for a very specific purpose that I made very clear in the original post.

Your picture from a day or so ago does not apply to my situation. The information in the graphic isn't incorrect, and I've never once anywhere in this thread said you were wrong, but the information you've provided is information I'm already aware of and information that's not applicable to me, my Jeep, and the situations I need it for.

I need a beam that's super focused to illuminate far ahead, and I want that beam in my bumpers. The reason I'm so concerned about it being such a concentrated beam is because it will be in my bumpers. The less light I'm throwing on the immediate foreground, the more light that's going into the FLAT path ahead. Being lower to the ground than A pillar-mounted lights requires a tighter beam.

This is what I'm after. I know nothing will be as concentrated as a laser beam, but the closest I can get to a focused spot, the better.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TlDY0f6.png
Views:	13
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	679615

To imply that I'm stupid or incapable of understanding is insulting, and quite ironic, considering you haven't once answered the question I asked. Either way, I appreciate your input and I welcome you to continue posting here, but please stop insinuating that I'm just not smart enough to "get it". My experiences on these roads, at this campsite, and with other Jeep lights are exactly what brought me here on this search. We had A pillar-mounted D2s lighting up the campground last season and the lights fell short. They definitely helped, and they're fantastic lights for their intended purpose, but we could have used something with a bit more throw. We have flashlights and we have lanterns, but it'd take 30 lanterns to provide the light I could get out of a couple spot lights. Pitching tents with a flashlight in hand is a pain in the ass. This isn't a state park, it's a private place, so we can't just pull into a driveway of a campsite and illuminate the the place just fine with our headlights. We're about 100 yards off, give or take a little, probably a little less, from the closest point we can park.

Many rally cars have spot lights mounted even lower than my bumper and they seem to get down the road just fine.

Last edited by Terry Hesticles; 01-27-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

I said it right from the beginning that he's a Vision X-biased vendor. Even comparing the new Vision X 7" headlight, he pits it against the JW Speaker Evo 1. Granted, this was a few months ago so perhaps the Evo 2 hadn't hit the shelves yet, but I would think someone in the lighting business would know of the new version coming and would either way to do a comparison video of the Vision X vs Evo 2 or at least just do a video review of the Vision X by itself. Otherwise, much like with the Rigid vs Vision X Light Cannon, it's apples vs very good apples. Not completely fair.
He may be biased, but he didn't do a very good job pimping the Vision X 7" headlight replacement. I wasn't that impressed by the video, and frankly they're just plain ugly too. JW Speaker's looks seem to be love/hate, but those are hate/hate IMO.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neZZr
He may be biased, but he didn't do a very good job pimping the Vision X 7" headlight replacement. I wasn't that impressed by the video, and frankly they're just plain ugly too. JW Speaker's looks seem to be love/hate, but those are hate/hate IMO.
Yeah, the headlight itself looks okay, would look even better black, but I'm not digging the beam pattern or the halo.

I'll be placing an order for the Evo 2s shortly. The only complaints I've heard about them is the price and the high-to-low beam delay, but I'm getting the SMS wiring harness so I shouldn't experience the delay. What else have you heard?
Old 01-28-2015, 02:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To imply that I'm stupid or incapable of understanding is insulting
I’d like to explain:
I did not say, imply or even think that you’re stupid. What I do think, is that you’re locked on one specific solution, while there may be better ways. This has nothing to do with how wise or knowledgeable a person is. Very wise heads of states or Generals sometimes do exactly the same, and shove off alternative/better solutions.

I need a beam that's super focused to illuminate far ahead, and I want that beam in my bumpers. The reason I'm so concerned about it being such a concentrated beam is because it will be in my bumpers. The less light I'm throwing on the immediate foreground, the more light that's going into the FLAT path ahead. Being lower to the ground than A pillar-mounted lights requires a tighter beam.
I got some good advice, but it was for a question I never asked….. The entire point of this thread is to find a plug-n-playable OEM foglight replacement for me to use when I'm camping on flat ground and for the flat backroads I frequent…..
That’s where, I think, you can do better if you look for a different solution, because I don’t think that there is such a spotlight which would meet the requirement.

We had A pillar-mounted D2s lighting up the campground last season and the lights fell short. They definitely helped, but we could have used something with a bit more throw.
If the D2 helped but not enough, maybe the Rigid D2 XL Hyperspot can be the solution. It has narrowest beam I know of, which is LED and made for offroad, but it obviously doesn’t fit in the fog light location.
Link - Rigid Industries LED Lighting | LED Lights, Offroad, Marine, Truck

We have flashlights and we have lanterns, but it'd take 30 flashlights to provide the light I could get out of a couple spot lights. Pitching tents with a flashlight in hand is a pain in the ass.
There’s a wealth of options of this type of lights, which are typically used for outdoors activity:

Name:	Pelican-2740-LED-Headlight.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	594113

Or this type:

Name:	OZNIUM Work Light.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	594114
Link - 10W Portable Rechargeable LED Work Light

Last edited by GJeep; 01-28-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GJeep, why is it everytime I see you on here you're in a heated argument?! Why you fight so much? (Only messing with you)
Old 01-28-2015, 04:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
I’d like to explain:
I did not say, imply or even think that you’re stupid. What I do think, is that you’re locked on one specific solution, while there may be better ways. This has nothing to do with how wise or knowledgeable a person is. Very wise heads of states or Generals sometimes do exactly the same, and shove off alternative/better solutions.

That’s where, I think, you can do better if you look for a different solution, because I don’t think that there is such a spotlight which would meet the requirement.

If the D2 helped but not enough, maybe the Rigid D2 XL Hyperspot can be the solution. It has narrowest beam I know of, which is LED and made for offroad, but it obviously doesn’t fit in the fog light location.
Link - Rigid Industries LED Lighting | LED Lights, Offroad, Marine, Truck

There’s’ a wealth of options of this type of lights, which are typically used for outdoors activity:

Attachment 594113

Or this type:

Attachment 594114
Link - 10W Portable Rechargeable LED Work Light
My same thought with these other light options. Some of these (headlamps) lights will blow you away with the light that they put out and cost a lot lest than maybe some (Spot) lights.
Olight-H35 wave 1500 Lumens
Olight-H25 wave 800 Lumens
There are other good headlamps out there too, just trying to help.

Quick Reply: Questions/input about plug-and-play LED spot lights for JK bumper