Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question for Trail Guide Users

Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Trail Guide Users

I am probably going to get the Jeep (Garmin) Trail Guide for my JK. I have one concern, which you'll probably laugh at! I'm 5'5" and I have a short torso, so I'm worried about how the unit will affect visibility. To give you an idea of my height, when sitting in the Jeep with the headrest all the way down, the top of my head is about level with or slightly below the top of the headrest. I keep my seat cranked up almost as high as it will go.

To check for visibility issues, I placed a box that measures roughly the same size as the Trail Guide on my dash. I noticed that I do lose some visibility on the right front side/corner (passenger side) of the vehicle. My husband is taller, so it doesn't affect his visibility at all.

Have any of you (espcially shorter people!) with the Trail Guide noticed any problems with decreased visibility? I'm thinking that I'd probably just get used to it, but I thought I'd see what you guys and gals have to say.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have it in my jeep and love it.. Had to add the Topo softwear for the trails.
My wife is 4'10" and she drives my jeep with out any problems with the trail guide on..
Hope this helps..
Old 10-11-2007, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not fab up some extension spacers for your seat? It seems easy enough to make.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have the trail guide and I am 5'4" and haven't really noticed a decrease in visibility. Have you tried pumping up your seat? I find that it really makes a big difference!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for your comments. I think I probably just worry too much! I bet it will be fine once I get used to it. I think I'm just going to go for it. I think it will be so cool, especially with the top maps added. I seem to always end up on unmarked Forest Service roads, and this thing might just help keep me from getting lost! Plus it should be cool for geocaching too.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jckid
Plus it should be cool for geocaching too.
Very cool for geocaching.

Quick Reply: Question for Trail Guide Users