Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

The question is HID Bi-Xenon Projectors or LED Headlights?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The question is HID Bi-Xenon Projectors or LED Headlights?

Alright so I've been looking at and comparing HID Bi-Xenon Projectors and Truck Lite's LED headlights for the past year. I love the look of the HID Bi-Xenon Projectors clear sharp cutoff line that the projectors create. I've been in a few cars equipped with them and I absolutely think the lighting output is awesome. So I am wondering if the HID Bi-Xenon Projectors are better than LED's preferably Truck Lite? I would like to know what everyones opinion is that reads this post? Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the bi-xenon hid projector setup, you'll be happier in the long run. My buddy has the truck lite's on his JK and while they do look awesome, you just can't compare them to a properly built set of projectors.

Contact Tom @ HIDProjectors and he will hook you up. Also check out his facebook page as he has a ton of customer photos and paint schemes to choose from.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/HIDpr...19823161399201
Old 10-02-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my trucklites, but either way u will be good. Ur gonna have everyone on here tell u what they got is the best....go with what u want after looking at all ur options
Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I would say the trucklites are awesome. For the money they are great. Also, decent light output and beam patterns with decent cut offs. Your best bet would be to retrofit bmws new led projectors into your headlights but not practical nor easy.

You won't beat the beam pattern and wide throw of a good projector. If your wanting a great projector retrofitted go with the fx-r 3.0, don't let anyone tell you the morimoto mini d2s is better. Morimotos are amazing fit and finish. The output vs a fx-r is crazy. You can't even tell the morimoto is on.

If you want someone to build them get ready to pay. It's an easy job. Just very tedious work. Measure 3x cut . Measure 3x again cut again. There are tons of threads online showing how to do it. You will pay the same or a lot more depending on what all you want done and if you pay someone to do it. If you have any skills in modifying anything I would give it a go.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been running hid in everything since the technology became available. And they work. However messing building hid projectors for the.jeep is a pain, and the truck lite phase 7 I installed are comparable to hid in a normal projector. And a whole lot easier to install.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ZJP
Go with the bi-xenon hid projector setup, you'll be happier in the long run. My buddy has the truck lite's on his JK and while they do look awesome, you just can't compare them to a properly built set of projectors.

Contact Tom @ HIDProjectors and he will hook you up. Also check out his facebook page as he has a ton of customer photos and paint schemes to choose from.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/HIDpr...19823161399201

Thanks for the helpful link. I'll check the website out.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bombout800
I would say the trucklites are awesome. For the money they are great. Also, decent light output and beam patterns with decent cut offs. Your best bet would be to retrofit bmws new led projectors into your headlights but not practical nor easy.

You won't beat the beam pattern and wide throw of a good projector. If your wanting a great projector retrofitted go with the fx-r 3.0, don't let anyone tell you the morimoto mini d2s is better. Morimotos are amazing fit and finish. The output vs a fx-r is crazy. You can't even tell the morimoto is on.

If you want someone to build them get ready to pay. It's an easy job. Just very tedious work. Measure 3x cut . Measure 3x again cut again. There are tons of threads online showing how to do it. You will pay the same or a lot more depending on what all you want done and if you pay someone to do it. If you have any skills in modifying anything I would give it a go.

Yes, I agree that the truck lites look awesome on the Jeep. I was driving though Elkhart, IN today and on my way back from a delivery I saw this Wrangler Unlimited with TruckLites installed. He had them on and they looked awesome!

I do in fact have somewhat very good mechanical skills and do enjoy wrenching on my car. I own a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible that I've owned for the past 12 years and it is almost showroom condition. For the past 5 years I have done mechanical repairs on my car. Unless it gets too complicated or if I dont have the right tool for it then I take it to a professional. 3 years ago I took 1995 BMW 3-series foglight housings and custom fitted them with a bracket and installed led strips in them.

I'll definitely give the fx-r 3.0 a lot of thought and keep them in mind. Thanks a lot for the helpful info.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak

No problem. Like I said the morimoto d2s is an awesome projector fit and finish. It would be easier to retrofit but will not have near the output. If you want the best bulbs money can buy, get the osram cbi bulbs. 20% more output and people rave about them. But you pay! Haha go to the retrofit source dot com. They have awesome products and amazing customer service.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Do the fx-r 3.0 fit the jeeps headlight considering how cramped it is once installed? I asked bc I stopped my retro on my jk once i realized that I could not make my e-55 bosh projectors fit right once installed on the jeep, I would've had to modify more than just the headlight. And that was using a factory jk headlight which gives you more space for the projector bc of the curvature of the lense. AFAIK the fx-r and bosh e-55 both being 3" projectors have almost the same dimensions. Now I agree with you on the morimoto d2s, crappy cutoff and output on low beam, with decent high beam. Your better off using the mori mini h1, better output and cutoff, and version 6 just came out and are supposed to be better. The thing with mini h1's though is your limited to aftermarket H1 bulbs only. But the advantage of these is that it's the easiest projector to retrofit with minimal cutting. The hardest part for me was baking and opening the factory jk headlight PITA. I was using Philips D2S 85122's which are standard OEM for my retrofit and now have em collecting dust next to an open jk headlight and the projectors

There are many sources of info as stated above and stores that carry a complete retro kit with great customer service after the sale and offer 2 year warranty. I've seen a fx-r retro with aftermarket 7" flat lense lights that looked awesome but that was on a TJ though.
Good luck.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

If you look you can find write ups on a jk with fx-r 3.0s

Quick Reply: The question is HID Bi-Xenon Projectors or LED Headlights?