Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question for audio experts

Old 11-15-2008, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for audio experts

Let me start by sayin, I do not know much about car audio equipment. My main question is, does anyone know anything about Cadence brand products? I have never heard of them, but I ran across what appears to be a good deal on a discontinued model of 6.5" speakers (model TXC-6K). It is a component set complete with tweeters and crossover. Here is where my lack of knowledge comes in. What exactly do crossovers do, and are the really necessary? All I want to do with my system is upgrade the speakers for better sound and keep the stock HU. I am currently trying to research Cadence on the web, but thought I would ask here too as there is always great advice here.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response.
I do not have the Infinity system, but I do have the stock tweeters on the dash. Is there already a crossover built into the stock HU? Again, I apologize for my ignorance about these thisngs, just trying to learn what I can.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't overbuy for the stock head unit. I put some $40 Sony speakers in the soundbar and they sound pretty good. I put some $80 Sony separates with a crossover in the dash and they sound like crap. The bass is horrible. It "bottoms out" non stop. At least that was our old audio term, its been a few years. They were hooked up correctly with the crossover, I did my research. But they require a better head unit. It was also a pain to get the speaker boxes out of the dash, but thats a whole different story and someone has already done a pretty good write up on it.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaloCS
It's not the price of the speakers that determine the quality but how well the new speakers match up with the existing equipment. If you hook up 4 ohm speakers to a 2 ohm signal then you effectively cut the available power in half. I.E. - If you're running 50 watts at 2 ohms then a 4 ohm speaker will only net 25 watts of available power. If you want to retain the original 50 watts of power you will want to stay with a 2 ohm speaker.

Another factor that will determine how loud a speaker will play is the speaker's efficiency rating. Utilizing the same exact amplifier power a speaker with an efficiency of 95 db will play twice as loud as a speaker with a 92 db efficiency rating. Having said this, if you were to replace a 95 db efficient speaker with a new speaker rated at 92 db you would essentially be reducing that speakers output by half. Why? Because it takes more amplifier power to push a less efficient speaker then it does to push a more efficient speaker.

The key is to match your stereo components properly. Since the power in the JK, whether it's the Infinity system or basic system, is running at 2 ohms you will want to install speakers that are rated at 2 ohms. This will allow for stock performance with the capability of increased performance based upon speaker materials and design. Infinity after market speakers are designed from the ground up to not only retain stock performance but increase it based upon the speaker impedance, construction materials, efficiency and speaker design.

If you want to increase your stock system performance without adding a new HU or external amplifiers then go with the Infinity brand of speakers. Like I stated earlier, they are designed from the ground up to retain if not increase the performance of the stock JK stereo.

All the Sony speakers are 4ohm, yet the soundbar ones sound much better than the separates up front. Though I think understand what you are saying. Guess I should have done some additional research and bought the Infinitys.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Just had a local installer replace the stock speakers (Infinity System) throughout my Jeep, to include the Basslink II.

I replaced the front with the Infinity Kappa component series. I observed the install and the entire speakers to include the tweeters fit perfectly within the stock enclosures.
The soundbar with the Infinity Kappa speakers (2 way).
The entire system powered by an Alpine Amplifier.

The system sounds great considering the JK makes for a challenging acoustical system.

Quick Reply: Question for audio experts