Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question about the sound bar w/o the roof

Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced both the dash and soundbar with the Kicker upgrade and noticed a huge difference. Nice thing bout them also was they plug right in to factory wiring with no splicing
Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by richard33
Ok so I just got an idea today.. what would happen if I was to install two shallow mount kicker comp vt 6.5" subwoofers in the sound bar and a good set of componants in the dash that I would all power from a 4 channel amp.

I would get 2 ohm coils to get the most power to my subs.

What I'm afraid of is that there won't be ennough space behind the sub for them to be loud. They claim these subs don't need much space at all...

Any comments/thought would be appreciated!
I replaced my sound bar speakers with coaxial speakers and it still rattled like crazy. It helped a ton when I stuffed the bar with poly fill but I would still be hesitant to put subs in there.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by richard33
Ok so I just got an idea today.. what would happen if I was to install two shallow mount kicker comp vt 6.5" subwoofers in the sound bar and a good set of componants in the dash that I would all power from a 4 channel amp.

I would get 2 ohm coils to get the most power to my subs.

What I'm afraid of is that there won't be ennough space behind the sub for them to be loud. They claim these subs don't need much space at all...

Any comments/thought would be appreciated!
Simple answer to your question......it would sound like shit.

No subs in the sound bar.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

even if you dynamat the hell out of the sound bar?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fivepack1966
even if you dynamat the hell out of the sound bar?
Nope.....Also, It's more than just the sound bar that is a problem in doing this.

Here's some of the problems with doing this:
- Sound Bar Rattle due to audio low bass frequencies which will cause the sound bar to resonate.
- Not even close to being enough air space, so the sub can work efficiently. Result=thin sound because subs will not reproduce lower frequencies they are meant to reproduce.
- No solid structure under the sub enclosure. There's a reason Subs are usually placed on a floor...they sound and work much better.
- MAJOR Stereo Imaging down grade. So, what this last one means is that normally you want speakers which reproduce Mid and High frequencies to be located in higher mounting locations, because it is these frequencies that cause the sound to feel more spacious. Subs, on the other hand reproduce low frequencies which are referred to as "non directional" frequencies. This is why you can set up a home theater room and the location placement of the sub woofer is less critical than all the other speakers. It's because your ears can not detect the direction the sound is coming from with low frequencies below 80Hz which are reproduced by the sub. So by adding Subs in the sound bar, you are going to remove all the Mid and High frequencies coming from those high up locations in the sound bar, and thus killing any spaciousness quality of the sound. The highest speakers reproducing Highs and Mids will be your tweets on the dash. Your ears sit way above that level, so the overall sound will sound like it's coming from your ankles, and you don't listen with your feet, so it would sound like shit for 2 major reasons. 1. Placing Subs in a plastic POS enclosure not even close to being ideal for subs. 2. Removing the Highs and Mids from their high up location where they belong.

Have you ever been to a Live Concert in a small bar/theater? If you have, then you might have noticed something about where the speakers are placed in relation to the stage and the band members. The SUBS are always located on the Floor, and the Horn Speakers are always located up high and off the ground and above the Singers head. There's a reason for why every theater places the speakers in these general locations.....it makes it sound better. So you're thinking about doing the exact opposite by placing Subs in the ceiling and your Horn Tweeters will be down low near the floor. Result=Shit sound.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-31-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default sound bar w/o the roof

When Sound Bar opened it was hailed as the ultimate club in the city, a place that would suddenly make Chicago to clubbing what Berlin is to techno. Now, it's pretty much like every other big downtown club: defined by a slew of suburbanites, a minimum $20 cover on the weekends and $8 mixed drinks that taste like water. Still, it prevents itself from falling into obscurity by having an awesome sound system and bringing in well-known international DJs (usually in the techno and trance genres).

The two-level club presents a bit of a Lego feel in its four color-coded rooms, each dressed in coordinating swanky furniture. The downstairs is split into three areas, with red and orange rooms enclosed in glass and separated by a dance floor backed by a DJ playing top 40 hip-hop, pop and R&B. In an appropriately enviable move, those who want to party in privacy head to the very secluded VIP green room. Each room boasts its own bar to cut down on aimless wandering for drinks, and there's also an additional smaller yellow bar.

When the big acts raise the roof, they wisely do so on the second floor. The DJ booth is slightly elevated and set perfectly above the white- and purple-tinged dance floor to allow club patrons a good look at who's spinning. On the night we visited the area was practically empty, as the crowd remained downstairs; people can only take so many laser lights and fog emissions in one DJ set.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gary2411
When Sound Bar opened it was hailed as the ultimate club in the city, a place that would suddenly make Chicago to clubbing what Berlin is to techno. Now, it's pretty much like every other big downtown club: defined by a slew of suburbanites, a minimum $20 cover on the weekends and $8 mixed drinks that taste like water. Still, it prevents itself from falling into obscurity by having an awesome sound system and bringing in well-known international DJs (usually in the techno and trance genres).

The two-level club presents a bit of a Lego feel in its four color-coded rooms, each dressed in coordinating swanky furniture. The downstairs is split into three areas, with red and orange rooms enclosed in glass and separated by a dance floor backed by a DJ playing top 40 hip-hop, pop and R&B. In an appropriately enviable move, those who want to party in privacy head to the very secluded VIP green room. Each room boasts its own bar to cut down on aimless wandering for drinks, and there's also an additional smaller yellow bar.

When the big acts raise the roof, they wisely do so on the second floor. The DJ booth is slightly elevated and set perfectly above the white- and purple-tinged dance floor to allow club patrons a good look at who's spinning. On the night we visited the area was practically empty, as the crowd remained downstairs; people can only take so many laser lights and fog emissions in one DJ set.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AtotheJ
I think he's a BOT.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gary2411

WTF man, Really????

Quick Reply: Question about the sound bar w/o the roof