Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question about the sound bar w/o the roof

Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the sound bar w/o the roof

I've read around that the power sent to the soundbar speakers is diminished when the hard top is taken off. My jeep came with the soft top only and I bought a hard top afterwards but I never ran the wire for it. Does this mean that I always get a lower signal to my speakers?

Also while I'm on the subject, has anyone swapped out the stock speakers with after market ones without upgrading the HU or adding an amp? Is it worth the upgrade?

Cheers

Matt
Old 04-24-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=richard33;2977965]I've read around that the power sent to the soundbar speakers is diminished when the hard top is taken off. My jeep came with the soft top only and I bought a hard top afterwards but I never ran the wire for it. Does this mean that I always get a lower signal to my speakers?

Also while I'm on the subject, has anyone swapped out the stock speakers with after market ones without upgrading the HU or adding an amp? Is it worth the upgrade?

I added dxi 6500s in the dash and tweeters, and dxi 650s in the sound bar, and it is definitely worth it.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

I think I might leave the front components in and swap the sound bar speaks with something with more bass
Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by richard33
I think I might leave the front components in and swap the sound bar speaks with something with more bass
The components are where you get most of your power, so if you swap them you will notice a lot bigger difference then just the sound bar. I did the sound bar, and dash so I could see if I needed to swap all of them, or just the sound bar/dash. And the sound bar wasn't a huge difference.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Do you have the so called "upgraded" Infinity system?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smith08jk
The components are where you get most of your power, so if you swap them you will notice a lot bigger difference then just the sound bar. I did the sound bar, and dash so I could see if I needed to swap all of them, or just the sound bar/dash. And the sound bar wasn't a huge difference.
Good to know, I might look into replacing the front speakers and tweeters first instead then.

And no I don't have the infinity system
Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad I could help. I had an amp ready to install, but then I found out about all the extras I needed that were very expensive so I just stuck with speakers for now. I'm a huge music junkie and I love how it sounds now.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

you might check out this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...fier-jk-45431/

it has some good information in it
Old 04-24-2012, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

You will definitely notice the difference changing out the factory speakers, especially in the front!

Change the back speakers later when you get a chance but you won't fully appreciate them till you have the hard top on

Adding an amp helps, if you add an amp make sure it has high level inputs, that will work better with the factory head unit and will sound even better down the road if you put in a new head unit

Matthew
Old 05-30-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default new idea...

Ok so I just got an idea today.. what would happen if I was to install two shallow mount kicker comp vt 6.5" subwoofers in the sound bar and a good set of componants in the dash that I would all power from a 4 channel amp.

I would get 2 ohm coils to get the most power to my subs.

What I'm afraid of is that there won't be ennough space behind the sub for them to be loud. They claim these subs don't need much space at all...

Any comments/thought would be appreciated!

Quick Reply: Question about the sound bar w/o the roof