Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question about installing MYGIG radio

Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ngiovas
The bus did not change from 2009 to 2012. There was another issue if it did not work in your vehicle. The newer radios are tied to the VIN and require a code to swap them into another vehicle, but the older radios didn't even have that.
I dont mean to argue with you, your RBZ in a 2012 JKU thread was my inspiration for trying to do it in my JK.

The ones that require a code are marked by "anti theft" in the lower left corner of the frame.

I wonder if it has something to do with not having the updated firmware/software. I just dont get why the RBZ (highspeed) from an '09 Chrysler Town & Country worked fine when put in a '10 Jeep Liberty, but did not work in my '11 JKU. Its definitely not a code problem since it worked in two other high-speed cars..

Last edited by aaron97; 05-22-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aaron97
I dont mean to argue with you, your RBZ in a 2012 JKU thread was my inspiration for trying to do it in my JK.

The ones that require a code are marked by "anti theft" in the lower left corner of the frame.

I wonder if it has something to do with not having the updated firmware/software. I just dont get why the RBZ (highspeed) from an '09 Chrysler Town & Country worked fine when put in a '10 Jeep Liberty, but did not work in my '11 JKU. Its definitely not a code problem since it worked in two other high-speed cars..
I will see if I can find any info on why it wouldn't work. By the way, I didn't mean to imply the code was the reason for it not working. I just meant that was one of the few changes to the radio.

What happened when you put the radio in your Wrangler? Did it turn on at all? Any lights on the dash or anything strange?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

So just a recap. I have an 07 and I want to up grade, so any mygig unit with "high bus" will work (with or with out nav) as long as its an 07-10 model radio?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will see if I can find any info on why it wouldn't work. By the way, I didn't mean to imply the code was the reason for it not working. I just meant that was one of the few changes to the radio.

What happened when you put the radio in your Wrangler? Did it turn on at all? Any lights on the dash or anything strange?
The screen back-lighting lights up and that's it. Its model # P05064678AE, which from everything i can tell, is a HSB.

Either way, i gave up and ordered an aftermarket unit yesterday. I figure i will be happier spending $600+ on a good HU and all the adaptors needed, rather than forking out a ton of money for a used MyGig. I wanted the MyGig because it looks good and i like the hard-drive feature. I wish the aftermarket companies would get with the times and start putting hard-drives in their units.

Originally Posted by JK_11
Yes it is a high speed. And it's currently working perfectly in my buddies 2010 jk. Thanks alot for the help. I should be getting it this week.
Have you had a chance to try it yet?
Old 05-25-2012, 02:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Soundwave
So just a recap. I have an 07 and I want to up grade, so any mygig unit with "high bus" will work (with or with out nav) as long as its an 07-10 model radio?
Actually, mygig through 2012 will work. You just need to know the security code if the radio is a 2011 or 2012. I have read about people buying the newer radios and not knowing the code. It would be very difficult (if not impossible) to convince the dealer to give you the code if you bought it used and don't have proof of ownership, so just make sure you get a code before buying a newer radio.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:44 AM
JK Newbie

I am with Aaron on this one. I went through an RBZ and a REN with my 11JKU. The REN played but I lost steering wheel controls and no sound from my sound bar or sub. The RBZ would turn on and go through all functions but no sound from any speaker. Both systems were high bus. I finally found a 430N RHB that works great. I was told it maybe compatibility with the infinity system which I have and the head unit.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhino3643
I am with Aaron on this one. I went through an RBZ and a REN with my 11JKU. The REN played but I lost steering wheel controls and no sound from my sound bar or sub. The RBZ would turn on and go through all functions but no sound from any speaker. Both systems were high bus. I finally found a 430N RHB that works great. I was told it maybe compatibility with the infinity system which I have and the head unit.
The Infinity doesn't have anything to do with the BUS, it is only in amp and speakers. That wouldn't cause a compatability issue. The REN is an older radio (replaced by RBZ) and didn't support the same steering wheel controls, so that would make sense. The BUS wouldn't cause the speakers to not work. That is a radio or connector issue. Did you try a CD, or just the radio?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Some of the date codes are confusing? Anyone know how to tell the date or how to figure out the code?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

The Infinity doesn't have anything to do with the BUS, it is only in amp and speakers. That wouldn't cause a compatability issue. The REN is an older radio (replaced by RBZ) and didn't support the same steering wheel controls, so that would make sense. The BUS wouldn't cause the speakers to not work. That is a radio or connector issue. Did you try a CD, or just the radio?

The Infinity amp has everything to do with the BUS. The Infinity amp is a digital amplifier that communicates with the radios over the Can bus. If you don't know how something works then try not to spread wrong information. You're only adding confusion and not helping others solve the problem.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:08 AM
JK Newbie

I tried all inputs. The best suggestion I would give anyone wanting to upgrade is test the unit in your Jeep before the final purchase. They are very easy to hook up quickly if you already have your dash broken down. That is also the down side to a purchase off EBay where you can sometimes find the best deals. Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Question about installing MYGIG radio