Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question about changing out factory Head Unit??????

Old 08-25-2007, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about changing out factory Head Unit??????

Hey there all, so I'm getting ready to swap out the factory Head Unit for a Pioneer Avic-D3. I am wondering what I need to do this? Obviously I need:

1) Avic-D3
2) Serius add on unit for Pioneer
3) Fit Kit (Trim Kit)

What I'm wondering is what kind of wiring harness I need? Do I need just a plain wiring harness or do I need any kind of PAC-Audio Can Bus adaptors etc??? Antenna converters etc????

Any insight would be great,

Thanks,

2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited - Steel Blue, Dual Top, auto Tranny.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
you will need a wire harness, one that works with the can-bus. the metra ctho-013 one is nice becaue it gives you the vss wire also (which you need for the D3) you will also need a antenna adpter Metra part # 40-eu10
I Don't have an infinity system... Does the ctho-013 still work with non-infinity systems? I thought I would have to go with the XSVI-6522?

Also, do I need an Antenna adaptor?

Gromet
Old 08-27-2007, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GrometJK
I Don't have an infinity system... Does the ctho-013 still work with non-infinity systems? I thought I would have to go with the XSVI-6522?

Also, do I need an Antenna adaptor?
The CHTO-3 does not work for non-infinity systems. There is a different plug, but I don't know the number off hand. A good search will probably tell you.

Yes, you will probably need an antenna adapter. Being a German built Jeep, I found out that I had to use the VW adapter. Crutchfield sent me one for free.

Let me know how you like the D3. I was contemplating getting one recently.

Quick Reply: Question about changing out factory Head Unit??????