Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question about buying an OEM Nav unit for my Jeep

Old 09-30-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are going to take the dash apart again take you $50 and put it towards the lockpick and mic go to http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm and take a look, you can rout the wiring harness so you can access it through the glove box hole so you can add a camera later without taking the dash apart again. Then buy a camera that suits your needs from eBay that's what i did
Old 09-30-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeeP_MarK
if you are going to take the dash apart again take you $50 and put it towards the lockpick and mic go to http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm and take a look, you can rout the wiring harness so you can access it through the glove box hole so you can add a camera later without taking the dash apart again. Then buy a camera that suits your needs from eBay that's what i did
So I've hooked up everything mic and sat antenna and everything works (including sirius) but the nav won't update to my current location. Any way to recalibrate??

I read that this can be done in engineering mode. I get to a screen that warns me about it I press ok and then nothing happens? Running out for the night but will be researching more tonight and back at it tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. That site you told me about mofv.com/mygig/ is great!

Last edited by AHunter; 09-30-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

So mygig will add gps to my unit? It doesn't have a gps menu. How do I find out if mine is capable of this mygig thing?
Old 09-30-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check that site to see if your firmware is up to date
Old 09-30-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check that site to see if your firmware is up to date
The site doesn't seem to list an update for the RHR unit. I'm still looking around. I have 2.1 installed. If the sirius works the antenna is working, so I think the nav needs a recalibration or maybe time? I read this on the mygig forum "Also, if the radio has been out of touch with the satellites for a while, it can take a long time to recalibrate itself. 20 minutes or more of driving on a main road."

Last edited by AHunter; 09-30-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your model is newer then mine so I don't know how much I can help , does you instrument panel still have a working compass also how much did you pay and did you get free sat with the unit ?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your model is newer then mine so I don't know how much I can help , does you instrument panel still have a working compass also how much did you pay and did you get free sat with the unit ?

Yes my jeep has a working compass on the dash. When I hook up the Sirius antenna the satellite radio works. While driving the arrow on the nav follows me, but it doesn't adjust the map to my area.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have no clue what is going on , maybe you should post the question on that mygig forum, sorry I'm not much help right know I'll look around the web to see if i can figure it out
Old 10-01-2011, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have no clue what is going on , maybe you should post the question on that mygig forum, sorry I'm not much help right know I'll look around the web to see if i can figure it out
I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for your help. I'll get it figured out! I like a good challenge! I'll let you know what the problem was when I get it worked out. The nav has actually changed it's location, closer but not correct and I'm showing 0 satellites.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

It seems to come down to the gps/satellite antenna. Since the new model combines both into one plug, the sirius antenna doesn't seem to be compatible with the gps/nav in the deck. with the sirius antenna hooked up the deck still seems to be showing the code of a missing gps antenna.

Quick Reply: Question about buying an OEM Nav unit for my Jeep