Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question about buying an OEM Nav unit for my Jeep

Old 09-30-2011, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like bs from the dealer if it is a high speed unit it should work, u need to activate the mic buy going to the maintenance menu on the deck , I can't remember what you need to do to get to it just google it, also there is forum dedicated to the mygig all answers can be found there http://mofv.com/mygig/. If you haven't got the mic sat antenna they are cheap on eBay .
Old 09-30-2011, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Teeds
I've been looking for one for a while. Where did u get it and how much?
found it on kijiji.ca
Old 09-30-2011, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xj2jk
So can the lock pick give you navigation if you have a non nav version?
Most likely not it's software issue , it might be possible to copy the hard drive image from working nav unit and put it on a non nav unit to get it to work but I have never seen someone do this , you should as this question on the mygig forum http://mofv.com/mygig/
Old 09-30-2011, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeeP_MarK
That sounds like bs from the dealer if it is a high speed unit it should work, u need to activate the mic buy going to the maintenance menu on the deck , I can't remember what you need to do to get to it just google it, also there is forum dedicated to the mygig all answers can be found there http://mofv.com/mygig/. If you haven't got the mic sat antenna they are cheap on eBay .

I agree, so I am going to try it out today and see if it works, I have the dash pulled out already. This deck is the RHR unit, I know that is the sales code, but what is the difference between RER and RHR? Are they newer and older models? I picked up an entire sirius kit for $30, couldn't wait for one of ebay The dealer wants $50 for the mic, since I getting a good deal on the nav unit I might just bite the bullet so I can get it all setup tonight.

Any suggestions on mic and antenna placement? I've seen a few write ups on the mic, I think I'll make a call and try a few spots and go with whatever sounds best.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AHunter

I agree, so I am going to try it out today and see if it works, I have the dash pulled out already. This deck is the RHR unit, I know that is the sales code, but what is the difference between RER and RHR? Are they newer and older models? I picked up an entire sirius kit for $30, couldn't wait for one of ebay The dealer wants $50 for the mic, since I getting a good deal on the nav unit I might just bite the bullet so I can get it all setup tonight.

Any suggestions on mic and antenna placement? I've seen a few write ups on the mic, I think I'll make a call and try a few spots and go with whatever sounds best.

Thanks for all the info!

Here's where I did my mic location. Works great and I even had my top and doors off doing about 45 holding a conversation with no prob.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3171040829.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	217276  
Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I've been giving thought to adding the NAV to my JK.. Can I ask how much one should expect to pay for a 2011 compatible HU?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would just wait on the mic if your going to put a lock-pick in, $50 way over priced and buy a back up cam at the same time.

This is were I put my mic works great even with the top off
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3375272643.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	217284  
Old 09-30-2011, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
I've been giving thought to adding the NAV to my JK.. Can I ask how much one should expect to pay for a 2011 compatible HU?
I payed $899 for the rer 16 months ago off eBay , when I hooked it up sat was activated and still has not turn off , mic will cost you $15 and the sat antenna will cost you $20 for the Sirius one
Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
I found my RHR unit off of kijiji.ca local to me. The guy bought it for his 2010 Chrysler 300 off ebay. The seller told him it would work, and it didn't. The deck is the new version that came out in Jan 2011 so it wasn't compatible. He ended up dropping the price to $250 just to get rid of it, so I took it off his hands. Plugged it in and it's good to go!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeeP_MarK
I would just wait on the mic if your going to put a lock-pick in, $50 way over priced and buy a back up cam at the same time.

This is were I put my mic works great even with the top off
Did you order the mic and camera off of ebay? I just don't really want to wait 2-3 weeks to get it I figure since I got such a good deal on the deck I can spend $50 on the mic, although I know it's a rip off at that price. Is it worth getting a lock-pick?

Quick Reply: Question about buying an OEM Nav unit for my Jeep