Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Prototype projector headlight

Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spore
Hah, I wish I had the time. It took long enough figuring out this combination! I went through several sets of factory headlights (like others have done) attempting to use those with varying levels of success.

Other than the photos in this thread, I don't have anything else. It's fairly straight forward.

Also, I couldn't bring myself sell these to anyone using a plunger as the cover for the back.
You could get some of these...http://w ww.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=4649.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cet99
You could get some of these...http://w ww.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=4649.
That would really solve the plunger problem. You may still need a 4" pipe extension to fully make contact to the aluminium disc, but it is way cleaner than a toilet plunger.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update after seeing too many threads asking about the best headlight options for the rig. After going through Hella/E-code/IPF halogen, high wattage halogens and HID in the H4 assemblies, these FX-R projectors beat the pants off of them all. Lumens-wise they are greater than the LED options, and much much cheaper.

The parts are listed earlier in this thread for the build.

Since they've been on for a couple years, the only changes I made include painting the aluminum disc a gloss black and removing the plunger as the back cover. The back cover to protect the rear of the projectors is now 250F heavy duty aluminum tape. It is holding up real well. There are no rock chips on the front of the projector lens, so from a functional standpoint, it doesn't seem to actually need a cover.

The downsides are that they need to be removed for inspection and you have one more dimension of adjustments for leveling the beams. Neither of which are a big deal.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd like to see someone do a Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit to the stock housings. I think that would still give it the stock appearance, but the light output of a projector housing.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepingib
I'd like to see someone do a Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit to the stock housings. I think that would still give it the stock appearance, but the light output of a projector housing.
It looks like a few folks have gone that route. It's probably an easier install than the FXr in the factory housings but I was stuck on the FXR for the performance.

I've considered taking the glass or plastic from a donor factory light and bonding it to the front of the light for more of a factory look, but I didn't want it messing with the cutoff or optics even a little bit.

Quick Reply: Prototype projector headlight