Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Prototype projector headlight

Old 03-10-2012, 11:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bump such an old post, but this caught my eye. It looks like this was done in 2010 right? How have they been running? Any problems, things you wish were different? Is is possible for you to post a shopping list of what I would need to do a similar mod? If it already exists, could someone point me in that direction please. Anyways, kick ass job bro.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Jeremy
Sorry to bump such an old post, but this caught my eye. It looks like this was done in 2010 right? How have they been running? Any problems, things you wish were different? Is is possible for you to post a shopping list of what I would need to do a similar mod? If it already exists, could someone point me in that direction please. Anyways, kick ass job bro.
They have held up really well. I wouldn't really change anything with the design if I had to do it over again with maybe the exception of the plunger covers that keep dust and water out of the projectors. That part isn't very elegant, but it's been holding up. The only change (minor) is that I have painted the silver to a gloss black and have gone with 55watt HID ballast and bulbs. With the new 55 watt bulbs, using the high beam for distance has made the Hella pencil beams mounted on the A pillar redundant.

The only tricky part is getting them aimed horizontally, and even that's not that tricky, it's just another adjustment to do. After you do it once, make notches so the discs line up.

I hate seeing folks go with the H4 cibies/hella/ecodes and then going HID since I went that route first and know what the results are. Unless you are truly on a budget, I would not recommend it at all.

Here's a shopping list:

* Aluminum headlight cover from Pegasus Racing, part #3610-007
* FX-R projector pair from The Retrofit Source
* Cheap 55watt ballasts and 55watt HID bulbs from ebay.
* 2 black plungers to cover the exposed projector assemblies

I don't recall the bolt sizes you need, but a trip to the hardware store with the projectors in hand should be all you need.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be removing them for the state inspection to put stockers back on and will take pics then.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by spore
They have held up really well. I wouldn't really change anything with the design if I had to do it over again with maybe the exception of the plunger covers that keep dust and water out of the projectors. That part isn't very elegant, but it's been holding up. The only change (minor) is that I have painted the silver to a gloss black and have gone with 55watt HID ballast and bulbs. With the new 55 watt bulbs, using the high beam for distance has made the Hella pencil beams mounted on the A pillar redundant.

The only tricky part is getting them aimed horizontally, and even that's not that tricky, it's just another adjustment to do. After you do it once, make notches so the discs line up.

I hate seeing folks go with the H4 cibies/hella/ecodes and then going HID since I went that route first and know what the results are. Unless you are truly on a budget, I would not recommend it at all.

Here's a shopping list:

* Aluminum headlight cover from Pegasus Racing, part #3610-007
* FX-R projector pair from The Retrofit Source
* Cheap 55watt ballasts and 55watt HID bulbs from ebay.
* 2 black plungers to cover the exposed projector assemblies

I don't recall the bolt sizes you need, but a trip to the hardware store with the projectors in hand should be all you need.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be removing them for the state inspection to put stockers back on and will take pics then.
so how much are you selling them for??? ill take mine with the metal painted flat black and i like the red look for where the light comes out so ill take that option too. do you have pics of what it looks like at night???

also im not 100% but dont they have to be D.O.T approved headlights?? not that i really care but in a accident you might be held liable
Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the advice.

I understand that the plungers cover the rear of the assembly, where did they come from. Do they come with the projectors, did you re-purpose them from something else?

So, to make sure that I understand. The projectors are face mounted into the headlight cover/disks that I am buying. Then that is held into the light socket with the chrome trim/retention ring? Then the stock assembly comes out completely and us not used in the build? Do I have this right? Does the projector need to be supported from the rear so it doesn't bounce around being held in with just the front ring?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OFP4LIFE
so how much are you selling them for??? ill take mine with the metal painted flat black and i like the red look for where the light comes out so ill take that option too. do you have pics of what it looks like at night???
Hell Yeah!

I'd like mine silver, just like yours!

No, really, I'm not joking!

Can you imagine how cool that would look with a pair of these...Painted to match the color of my GP
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eyebrows.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	287658

Last edited by JK-Jeremy; 03-11-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Hell Yeah!

I'd like mine silver, just like yours!

No, really, I'm not joking!
you wanted to build your own im first in line for the first headlight sale. hell lets buddy up make a business with this
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

you wanted to build your own im first in line for the first headlight sale. hell lets buddy up make a business with this
I'm already wiring him money right now. I just stuffed a $100 bill into my CD Tray and pushed the "close" button. (I paypal'd, only I did it the redneck way)
Old 03-11-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice.

I understand that the plungers cover the rear of the assembly, where did they come from. Do they come with the projectors, did you re-purpose them from something else?

So, to make sure that I understand. The projectors are face mounted into the headlight cover/disks that I am buying. Then that is held into the light socket with the chrome trim/retention ring? Then the stock assembly comes out completely and us not used in the build? Do I have this right? Does the projector need to be supported from the rear so it doesn't bounce around being held in with just the front ring?
You got it. It wont bounce around provided the four bolts are tight enough. It's not hard to get them that tight. The stock assembly will not be used at all (this is not the case in other projector retrofits I've seen).

The plunger is literally from a toilet plunger, you will probably have to cut it with a a pair of shears to the right size depending on the plunger. I forgot to mention, the plunger I used was too short. To make a seal with the aluminum disc, you need a 4" diameter cylinder, roughly 1-2" in length JB welded or epoxied to the disc. This will give the plunger enough distance to make a seal. The plunger piece was the most rigged piece of the entire project.

Make sure the hole is cut with a 2.25" (check the diameter, going from memory) metal hole saw when using the FX-r projectors. The projector ring will not stick out through at that point, only the convex lens itself.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

i guess he is not willing to build it for anyone lol. to bad i dont have the time to do it my self anytime soon but i have everything now saved and might just order all the parts to do it.

you dont have photos of everything you did?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

i guess he is not willing to build it for anyone lol. to bad i dont have the time to do it my self anytime soon but i have everything now saved and might just order all the parts to do it.

you dont have photos of everything you did?
Hah, I wish I had the time. It took long enough figuring out this combination! I went through several sets of factory headlights (like others have done) attempting to use those with varying levels of success.

Other than the photos in this thread, I don't have anything else. It's fairly straight forward.

Also, I couldn't bring myself sell these to anyone using a plunger as the cover for the back.

Quick Reply: Prototype projector headlight