Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Protect headunit from dust and water

Old 08-03-2013, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protect headunit from dust and water

H t t p://dashboardcondom.com

I kept reading about JK owners having problems with their electronics when they get caught in the rain or in a heavily dusty or sandy environment. That lead me to an idea I liked so much, I did a Pat. Pend. On and started sampling various parts for it. I even created a website and made the product available for sale. It's called the Dashboard Condom because it is a sheet of latex that stretches over the head unit connecting with hooks and leader wire from the windshield defrost vents down to the floorboards...no special mounting and rolls up into a small condom like bag for easy storage. Well, I threw the concept out in some Facebook groups for feedback purposes and all I got were smart-ass remarks from JK haters. Jeep is obviously a house divided. Anyway, I thought I would try my JK Forum crew to see if any of you have any thoughts on the concept as a smart solution. Several people have had positive things to say elsewhere and even requests for its use in other ways...even off-road racing and military. Thanks in advance for your input.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2734934377.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	484897  

Last edited by k0260; 09-18-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: non-sponsor sales link
Old 08-03-2013, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

As someone who keeps the top off 9 months of the year, I think it is a good idea. I use a piece of plastic/ cloth from a kayak sprayskirt with a few bean bags stapled to the top corners. It does not protect the sides but lets water run off. As with all products, price point will be your challenge.....
Old 08-04-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

I think it's a good idea personally from experience with my work truck with the windows down in a dusty area my radio is screwed but since I don't own it I could care less. I def would want to keep my jeep protected.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome...I had the same concept idea a few years ago but never pursued it like you did. I had the exact concept only instead of latex. I was proposing to use Denier Nylon just like the material in my waterproof Marathon Seat Covers. I even approached the company with my idea and to see if they would custom make me one but it never went further...I built a crude prototype as well. I would love to try your product out. How resilient is the latex rubber? It would seem that it would tear easily and then be useless. I will gladly be your test subject if you want to send me one !

Last edited by jeeperjkjeeper; 08-04-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

as someone whose cd player is not working at the moment, I would use it. has not been rained on yet but that day is coming.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Default Dash Condom

So far it is doing well. I am using a military grade latex and had tinkered with several different thicknesses until I settled on what I have now. It stretches with just the right amount of tension so it creates a nice seal and you can see the radio display fairly well...and still use it (touch sensitive). I even had a pair of sunglasses with a pointy end sitting under it in the tray. The latex didn't puncture. The biggest problem was finding a hook without having to mold my own. I finally have what I want and am supposed to receive a thousand of them next week, so I'll start making them up. I have a dozen of them ready to add hooks and ship out at that time. If you are interested in one there is an order form tied to PayPal at dashboardcondom.com
Old 08-15-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Mabey a nitrile version? For people with bad latex allergies? Just a thought
Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, been trying to source nitrile sheets. If I can sell enough, I plan on having the sheets molded in nitrile...definitely a good point, thanks!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default dashboard condom

Originally Posted by chewy33
as someone whose cd player is not working at the moment, I would use it. has not been rained on yet but that day is coming.
I have some more dashboard condoms made up if you want to get one:
Dashboard Condom | Patent Pending 61/844,496
Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm, this is very interesting and very useful

I got a new headunit, went offroading, returned and noticed dust INSIDE the display.

I had to take it apart and use compressed air (for computers) to clean off the dust

Is this product shipping now?

do you have any darker colors for a stealthy version?

Having a huge white condom over the radio just invites thieves to take a closer look (I run with trail doors and no top a few weeks in the spring and summer)

Quick Reply: Protect headunit from dust and water