Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Problems with wiring harness

Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with wiring harness

Have a 2012 JKUR with the max tow package. I have a flat trailer that I tow my dirtbikes in. When i plugged the trailer into the jeep the trailer lights did not work. I checked the fuses and the yellow 20 fuse was missing from the M14 slot. I put in a new fuse and still the trailer lights did not work. Any thoughts????
Old 04-06-2012, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just picked up my 12 JKU yesterday and also have max tow, haven't hooked up my trailer yet tho. Will try later and report back to my findings. Sounds like a warranty trip to the stealership tho.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you purchased with tow package and was not something you added after the fact would definitely let the dealership figure it out. Not sure if the circuit has to be enabled by the starscan or not.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Have the trailer lights worked prior to this when connected to your 2012 JK?
Do they work when connected to another vehicle?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Have the trailer lights worked prior to this when connected to your 2012 JK?
Do they work when connected to another vehicle?
Yes they worked prior to being hooked to my jeep. This is the first time ive plugged any trailer into the jeep
Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Poker5150
Yes they worked prior to being hooked to my jeep. This is the first time ive plugged any trailer into the jeep
Do you have an automotive test light. Or a meter that will read 12 volts DC?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

Do you have an automotive test light. Or a meter that will read 12 volts DC?
I can borrow one from my neighbor. What should i check? The plug on the jeep? Sorry....electrical is not my strong point!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on what you have: if you have an auto light only then yes you'd be checking power coming from the plug on the Jeep. If you have access to a multi-meter then you can do several tests: 1st same test put the meter on volts DC and check power at plug; 2nd on trailer check continuity (this is the setting with the symbol of ohms, and the meter should beep when you touch the leads together letting you know you have a complete circuit) between the leads, this will tell you if you have a broken circuit which could be a blown bulb or a corroded contact in the bulb housing. Very doubtful you have a broken wire, but this test would also tell you it is a possibility. Also check (on both Jeep and trailer) continuity between the ground lead in the plug and the ground on the frame of said plug.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Poker5150
I can borrow one from my neighbor. What should i check? The plug on the jeep? Sorry....electrical is not my strong point!!!
Since you reported nothing working on the trailer, the assumption would be that the problem is in the Jeep. The exposed terminal on the Jeep plug should be ground. The adjacent terminal should be the parking lights. With the parking lights on, place the test leads accross these two terminals. If you get nothing here, no point in going any further.
If you find power here, the problem is in the ground on the trailer.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 04-06-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

Since you reported nothing working on the trailer, the assumption would be that the problem is in the Jeep. The exposed terminal on the Jeep plug should be ground. The adjacent terminal should be the parking lights. With the parking lights on, place the test leads accross these two terminals. If you get nothing here, no point in going any further.
If you find power here, the problem is in the ground on the trailer.
Thank you all very much. Ill give your directions a try tmro

Quick Reply: Problems with wiring harness