Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Problem with uConnect activation

Old 11-05-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with uConnect activation

I installed uconnect module on a RES head unit in an 08 unlimited. Dealer said that the code had to be added to the vin and it would take potentially hours for it to take in the Chrysler system. He set the sales code in the morning and by end of day it had taken (RSP). I went back to have the flash done and it would not take. Tech said that the canbus see's a new module but does not know what it is. He also said that he was running the latest version of starscan but even tried what he referred to as Witech which is even newer.

He said that he would get the SA to try entering the other HFM code in the system (RSQ) which he entered this morning and deleted the RSP code. By end of day they BOTH showed on the VIN. He was going to try to delete the RSP one again so we could try the flash again but by end of day, they were both still there. I am going to check in the morning but I am not hopeful.

Anyone have any experience with these varying codes?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am confused. If this is my gig; you buy a sep mic and all you do is go into engineering mode by pressing 3 buttons at once(I forgot which), activate the uconnect feature and you are set to set the bluetooth to your phone.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

no, not mygig....single disk head unit with the capability if you add a module. Has to be enabled by dealer.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Seems like they're doing somethign wrong. My dealership followed these instructions on page 5:

http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...r.ashx?id=2335

He had it done in less than an hour, worked just fine. I have read of others having issues, seems you need to carefully read the activation instructions, and follow them to a T, or else it doesn't work. Sounds like they're either missing a step or not doing it properly.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

I've got the same head unit and went through the same hoops. At the end of the day the dealer said they couldn't figure out how to make it work. On the drive home I decided to hit the button anyway...and it worked. The dealer said they tried all sorts of things. My guess is that either a) as the other poster said: they're missing a step, or b) they've done the right steps, but didn't wait long enough for it to take and then tried other steps that killed it.

I'm amazed at how many dealers have issues with this...
Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had some headaches when I got mine activated here in Ottawa.

Once the sales codes were added, they flashed the computer and nothing. I got an emergency call and had to leave with my Jeep.

I went back a couple of days later and the Service Manager should me a advisory from corporate that stated that U-Connect wouldn't work in the Jeep. I countered with a sheet of additional instructions which I had forgot on first attempt. The service manager agreed that it wouldn't take much to attempt my additional steps.

The additional steps involved using the Star Scan to set the Gateway for the HFM, after that everything worked as expected.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went to another dealer over lunch. They took it in the bay and had it done and working in 15 minutes. Charged me for less than half an hour. Works really well!

What bothered me is that I am in software myself and knew it wasn't a difficult thing. The guy in the first dealership was the shop foreman and he clearly didn't have a clue. The second one I went to they wanted to charge 1.5 hours. 3rd times the charm I guess.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Octo
I had some headaches when I got mine activated here in Ottawa.

Once the sales codes were added, they flashed the computer and nothing. I got an emergency call and had to leave with my Jeep.

I went back a couple of days later and the Service Manager should me a advisory from corporate that stated that U-Connect wouldn't work in the Jeep. I countered with a sheet of additional instructions which I had forgot on first attempt. The service manager agreed that it wouldn't take much to attempt my additional steps.

The additional steps involved using the Star Scan to set the Gateway for the HFM, after that everything worked as expected.

Please con you detail this procedure?

Thanks
Francisco Lopez
Old 11-07-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by panchoz71
Please con you detail this procedure?

Thanks
Francisco Lopez
I have the detail steps on my old hard drive which is locked up at work, but basically if you go through the various menus on the Star Scan you should find one entitles HFM (Hands Free Module) Gateway or something to that affect. I think it was as simple selecting it.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Octo
I have the detail steps on my old hard drive which is locked up at work, but basically if you go through the various menus on the Star Scan you should find one entitles HFM (Hands Free Module) Gateway or something to that affect. I think it was as simple selecting it.
We already do that but not works to me

some recommendation?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	06112009202.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	32558  

Quick Reply: Problem with uConnect activation