Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Problem with remote lock/unlock

Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did it again this morning. Happens about once a week, since I bought it new 2 years ago. I recently replaced the battery for the hell of it (didn't work). I found that if you pull the battery out of the FOB and put it back it in will start working again. It is my understanding the FOB uses some kind of rolling code, and I think what is happening is the computer and the FOB get out of sync with each other. Pushing the button on the key when it is out of range of the Jeep makes it happen more often.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read about this somewhere on the forum. In some cases it was the receiving module for the key fob. Forget the exact name but if your taking it to a dealer, have them check that module.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carjock
Happened tgo me too. Could be the battery getting weak. Also the tabs inside the remote that make contact with the battery get pushed down. Open the remove carefully pry up on the contacts.
I agree with this, I just opened mine and one of the two tabs was a bit down.

Sometimes I have also notice a bit of a delay unlocking or locking...
Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

BUMP!!!! I had this happen to me again yesterday. It was cold... first i hit unlock and only the alarm disabled. but no locks. i had to open the door by using the key and tried to unlock the other doors and tail gate by pushing the unlock button on the inside of the actual doors of the vehicle but they didn't respond..... then i started the jeep.. drove for a few minutes... and hit them again and they finally unlocked. then i parked my jeep at 7-eleven and went inside. When i came back out the fob didn't work AT ALL. I had to pop the hood and disconnect the battery and when i reconnected it it finally worked. This happens alot in cold weather only.

any thoughts? I know its not just the fob cause the buttons inside the jeep werent working either. .....also the first time it happened a few months ago.... the steering wheel controls stopped working as well.

how are all these components connected and why would cold effect them????????

thats what chrysler needs to find out.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had this problem off and on for ,about 6 months with my 09 unlimited, warm and cold weather. You could take the battery out and put it back in the fob and it would work. I finally took it to the dealer and they programmed a new key fob and gave it to me. Haven't had the problem since. I think there is more than one problem, some have a problem with the receiver in the jeep, others have a key fob problem.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like most of the people who are having this problem have 09's.

Mine has started doing it as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Default 09 Problem

It does appear to be a problem with 09 Wranglers more than others. I had the same problem with mine and finally gave up on the dealer finding the problem after several trips and normal BS they tell you. Mine would work if they unplugged the antenna module but the range is only about 3 feet away from the vehicle. I decided to live with the shorter range rather than the lockup and alarm going off when using the key.

I keep searching the forums hoping to find a fix one of these days but nothing yet.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I Fixed It?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...20#post2224820
Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same thing on my '09 JKU. I've been to the dealer, replaced keys, and nothing worked. The only thing that has seemed to help is holding down the button on the remote until something happens. I know it sounds dumb, but since I haven't just tapped the button and have held it until the doors unlock, I haven't had an issue. I think, like others, there can be rf interference that can goof it up. Why does it seem like the better technology gets, the more dumb and more frustrating it can be!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same crap on my 2010 JKU. Fob didn't work and key wouldn't start it. I knew the battery was fine because the radio and electronics came on in along with all of the diagnostics but the little red security light stayed lit. Had to disconnect the battery and "reboot"! Seems as though the Jeep may have been programmed by Microsoft.. When in doubt reboot...

Quick Reply: Problem with remote lock/unlock