Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Problem with remote lock/unlock

Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with remote lock/unlock

I am having an issue with the remote lock/unlock buttons on my keyfob. For some reason, on some occasions, when i am trying to unlock the car using the button on the keyfob, it doesn't work. there is no rhyme or reason to it, just every once in a while it doesn't unlock the vehicle. It usually happens in a crowded parking lot, and when i open the vehicle the alarm goes off until i get the key in the ignition. Sometimes it happens with one key, sometimes the other key. It first started happening last winter. i brought it up w/ the dealer and the service tech, but of course when i had it in both keys worked fine. then over the summer, no problems at all. Now with the winter here again, it is happening again? is some component sensitive to cold weather and won't work? Has anyone else had this problem???
Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

same here i have a 09 jk i called the dealer so there are going to look into it the service guy told me it might be the keyfob or the recvier of the jeep , but i dont know
Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

I have noticed the same thing since the cold weather started.
The key is 3 years old now, so I was attributing it to a low battery in the key.
Sometimes it takes several tries to get the doors to unlock.

Could be something else, I guess.

I'll have to try my spare, which has seen no use yet.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

Happened tgo me too. Could be the battery getting weak. Also the tabs inside the remote that make contact with the battery get pushed down. Open the remove carefully pry up on the contacts.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

I have been having the same problem with my 09 unlimited. I replaced the batteries in both keys and that didn't solve anything so I took it to the dealer who stated that they fixed the problem by "reprogramming". That worked for about a week then it randomly started again this weekend. Set up another appt. later this week.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have just recently noticed that when I try to lock my car , the lights will flash and the horn will honk but it wouldn't lock the doors! I have to press it like 2 or 3 times before I here all the locks click locked, I dunno its weird. I learned this when I came back to the car and just playing around I tried to open the door and it opened and the alarm sounded. BTW it only does this with my key fob also
Old 12-27-2010, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

got back from the dealer they change the battery of the key fob they told me if it keeps happing to come back ,they also told me if enuff people come in they might have a recall
Old 12-27-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Same thing happened with my '10 JKU on a recent road trip--three times at gas stations in below freezing weather. All worked fine during the rest of the trip and now at home. Shut off. Got out. Fob didn't work to lock. I locked from the door. Filled up. Tried to unlock and the alarm went off. Had to put the key in just to get the other doors to unlock.

I figured it was something with cold but then had a good conspiracy theory solution that it was some weird RF interference issue at gas stations.

I'm going to bring it up this week with the dealer. I also need them to look at the horn (no function) and the rear wiper (no function).
Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Bringing this post back to life since my key has not been able to unlock the Jeep twice now within one month. Once was a cold morning about 20 or 25 deg's, but the other was yesterday and it was almost 40 out... Has anyone's dealer had any explaination for this yet? Confused receiver?

I don't care at all about having to unlock the Jeep by hand, but I'm sure my neighbors are going to get sick of hearing the alarm go off.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happens to me on occasion also. '09 Rubi Unlimited with 46000km

Quick Reply: Problem with remote lock/unlock