Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

problem with H3 fog lights?

Old 05-13-2015, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with H3 fog lights?

Hi gents,

Today I replaced the stock bumper fog lights on my JKU 2007 with some Pilot Automotive PL360C as per this write-up :

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...pl360c-239601/

My problem is that when turning the lights on, they will blink a few times then stop working. Other times they simply won't light up. I've read about a few other people experiencing the same issue, but haven't found a clear solution to the problem.

My knowledge with electrical stuff is very limited, but from what I could gather, it would seem that the wattage of the standard H3 bulb (55w) could be too much to handle for the stock relay?

The PL360C housing only allows for H3 bulbs to be installed, so ideally I'd have to find a solution for it to work with H3s so I can use the housing as intended.

Question #1 : Would plugging in LED H3 bulbs instead of standard bulbs solve the wattage issue and make it work?

Question #2 : If not, what would I need to do that would allow me to still turn them on by using the headlight knob on the steering wheel, I.E. without having to install a separate switch?

Thanks for any help,

Cheers
Old 05-14-2015, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

And FYI, I hooked the lights by getting rid of the factory connector that connects to the light, and by splicing the wires directly together, if that makes any difference. I kept the stock connector f it needs to go back in.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 25W H3s in my Hella projector fogs on top of my aftermarket bumper, seem ok the lights are just spliced into the original fog harness. There are some "Xtreme" H3 bulbs out there that may work that have equivalent higher wattage. Example: PIAA | H3 35W=60W Super White Single Bulb #70313-888 says it pulls 35W but is equivalent of 60W.
the Motorcycle crowd seem to have the 20-35W H3 bulbs marketed to them, if that helps in searching.

The first crop of drop-in H3 LEDs didn't have enough resistance (V=IR, P=IV, etc) and triggered the 'bulb out' issues and CANBus would flicker etc depending on JK year so youn eed CANbus Cancelling etc. and I didn't want to bother, since at that point it was better to just get a LED fog designed for the JK. H3 halogen bulbs are cheap, worked, and easy to replace.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info, just went to a local motorcycle shop and ordered two H3 35W bulbs. Should get them tommorow, will update the thread as to wether or not it fixes the issue.

More info is of course still welcomed.
Cheers.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

pbujku13, I owe you a beer for this very good info!

Got the H3 35w bulbs today, installed, and it works flawlessly. Next will be to see if they are bright enough.

Thanks again pbujku13, and hopefully this will help others.

Cheers.

Last edited by sewktbk; 05-17-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Another update,

got to drive around at night with the fog lights on, and am very pleased with their brightness. Definitely satisfied with the PL360C housing and 35w H3s combination as my new fog light rig.

Quick Reply: problem with H3 fog lights?