Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Power windows cutting power to amp?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power windows cutting power to amp?

Here's a new one; noticed the other day that when I raised the power windows, the volume from my MyGig nav unit would cut out when the window got to the top & I still had the switch activated. As soon as I released the switch, the volume came back on; tested this a few times & always the same, but couldn't duplicate it this morning though.

I know that having the switch activated with the power windows all the way up will draw more current than usual, so maybe the amp reacted to the slightly reduced voltage by cutting output. Or is this more due to the switch using the CANBUS which also runs the head unit?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is funny because while I was driving this afternoon I was looking at my voltage gauge in my Jeep while my volume was turned up and my subwoofers were hitting pretty hard and I pressed the button to roll my windows up and the voltage went down from 14-13. When I released the button, it went back up to 14. My volume didn't decrease or anything though.. I hope you get your problem fixed. If I had any advice or knowledge about the problem, I'd try and help, but I don't
Old 07-13-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by centerfieldr162
This is funny because while I was driving this afternoon I was looking at my voltage gauge in my Jeep while my volume was turned up and my subwoofers were hitting pretty hard and I pressed the button to roll my windows up and the voltage went down from 14-13. When I released the button, it went back up to 14. My volume didn't decrease or anything though.. I hope you get your problem fixed. If I had any advice or knowledge about the problem, I'd try and help, but I don't
Thanks for the info! That makes sense, as if my interior light is on when the window hits the stops & loads up, I notice the light dimming slightly until I release the switch.

I'm actually waiting on delivery of a new amp as the old one's getting replaced under warranty. The issue it's having is that the volume cuts out intermittently for a few seconds & then comes back; sometimes it doesn't do it for months & other times it just it all the time, making the stereo unusable. Maybe the voltage drop you described when the window motor is loaded is tipping my already-fauly amp over the edge?

Quick Reply: Power windows cutting power to amp?