Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Post you best electronic mod.....

Old 08-23-2007, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I HAD a carputer setup and working. I had an old laptop lying around hooked to a bluetooth GPS running RoadRunner software. I had it in the storage trunk with a usb cable and vga cable running to a window mounted 9" touchscreen monitor. Audio into the headunit. I used a fuse spliter in the fuse box to route another ACC powered lighter in the rear of the jeep to power the inverter.

Unfortunatly the Laptop VGA port got screwed up somehow when I upgraded it to Vista and I can't get it working again. So I figure I should just buy a real GPS integrated head unit. :( It was fun while it lasted.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sQuid
What is involved with moving it from vehicle to vehicle? I have two other vehicles I can use it in if it is simple enough to move around. Is it just the LCD or is there some sort of antenna or other hardware as well?
Just the unit, bro. I bought a extra cradle for like 12 bucks and a RAM suction cup mount for 34. All the cradle has is a cig adapter... that's it! To run video there is a 3.5mm plug (same size as headphones, just one more conductor) that you plug into the side of the unit. Slide the unlock button over and the unit comes right out.

Read all about it here: GPSCITY

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 08-23-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow that beats the crap out of my best electronic mod!!!

Quick Reply: Post you best electronic mod.....