Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Possible to fit 2 12s

Old 12-02-2016, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to fit 2 12s

I am looking into making a new sub system in my jeep. I was wondering if I would be able to mount 2 shallow mount 12s on the tailgate? I know 2 10s works, I measured and see there being enough room width and height wise. Just wanted to know if it was possible.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the tailgate? As in the door that swings open? I'm sure you can rig something up but it would take a lot of dynamat to keep the vibrations down.but my main question is why? I have a factory subwoofer and it has some kick to it but with the top down or off it is useless.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you dont mind loosing the room under your back seats you can make a box for 2 shallow mount 10"s facing down. I have seen and heard them before and sounds great. or can mount under front seats as well
Old 12-04-2016, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hogforever10
I am looking into making a new sub system in my jeep. I was wondering if I would be able to mount 2 shallow mount 12s on the tailgate? I know 2 10s works, I measured and see there being enough room width and height wise. Just wanted to know if it was possible.
Two shallow 12s will need two cubic feet of internal volume. If you mount that to your tailgate, you are talking a box the size of the tailgate that sticks out into your storage area about 8-10". You will put a lot of stress on the tailgate hinges and still take up 1/3 or your cargo area. If you don't care about space, just build a box and be done with it.

Or put two 10s under your seats (back or front) and take up no room and will outperform the shallow 12s. At least I know 10s under the front seats will outperform shallow 12s in the back. I've been doing it for 3 years.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:51 PM
JK Newbie

Under front seats is best location. Unless you never remove your top. Useless in the back with top off. There are several pre-made boxes for under seat install.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by twise
Under front seats is best location. Unless you never remove your top. Useless in the back with top off. There are several pre-made boxes for under seat install.
See that is what I want to do. I have seen the threads but I don't have the know how to build myself. Also the pre-made boxes from people I have looked into are way out of my price range.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hogforever10
See that is what I want to do. I have seen the threads but I don't have the know how to build myself. Also the pre-made boxes from people I have looked into are way out of my price range.
The solution does not have to be JK specific. Here is what a quick search netted me on eBay. Enter the SOUNDSTREAM USB-8A into a search and you will see what I mean. This unit sells for $110. It's an eight inch sub with a built in amp. You could run two of these. One on each side. Find a shop in your area that would be willing to install gear that you provide. You may be pleasantly surprised. For every dollar amount there is a solution. If you were local, I would help you out for some beers or a trade. I'm sure there are guys like me in your area. Hop on some stereo forums in your area. I would love to throw two of these in a jeep and hear what they sound like. Just do some homework. Go talk to some people in your area. Most car audio guys are itching to try something new. SOUNDSTREAM USB-8A

Quick Reply: Possible to fit 2 12s