Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Portable Air Compressor Hardwired??

Old 03-18-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Calypso
Is the HF compressor a decent one? How long does it take to air up your tires after wheelin' aired down?
I just measured today... Fom my 35" Xtreme ATs, it took 2 minutes 17 seconds to go from 15 to 30 PSI.

Way faster than I expected.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Echo if you get yours done, please post some pics if ya don't mind.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jason0341
Looks good!, Still trying to figure out how to do a hard wire install. I just dont understand why I would need a tank if I only want to use it for air in the tires? I know how to run all the hard lines to a relay and such, but not sure how to disassemble the switch to run my own I want to keep mine in the rear cubby though.

What size relay do I need?
There really is no need to disassemble your switch. I would leave it there and just keep it in the on position. It'd be nice to have a backup switch to shut it down at the compressor if needed. In fact, I would used the "stock" wiring (just cut off the battery clips) to run forward. through the firewall, to the engine compartment, and tie it into the relay near the battery somewhere... The stock wiring would be fine, especially since almost all all of it is running inside the jeep.

If it was me, I wouldn't run a tank with the HF compressor... you'd have to add an additional pressure sensor relay, buy brackets to mount the tank, plus all the hardware... by the time you do all that, you'd have a kick ass setup with a cheap ass compressor. I'd keep it simple as possible.

Just my
Old 03-19-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedRock GatorRaider
There really is no need to disassemble your switch. I would leave it there and just keep it in the on position. It'd be nice to have a backup switch to shut it down at the compressor if needed. In fact, I would used the "stock" wiring (just cut off the battery clips) to run forward. through the firewall, to the engine compartment, and tie it into the relay near the battery somewhere... The stock wiring would be fine, especially since almost all all of it is running inside the jeep.

If it was me, I wouldn't run a tank with the HF compressor... you'd have to add an additional pressure sensor relay, buy brackets to mount the tank, plus all the hardware... by the time you do all that, you'd have a kick ass setup with a cheap ass compressor. I'd keep it simple as possible.

Just my

I hear ya, I don't want a tank at all. I just trying to figure why some people were saying I might need one.

So if I cut off the jumper clips, run the wires to a relay then to the battery. Then put a switch in the cab and run that to the relay and leave the compressor's stock switch on. I could control the compressor from my fabbed switch in the cab?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

So if I cut off the jumper clips, run the wires to a relay then to the battery. Then put a switch in the cab and run that to the relay and leave the compressor's stock switch on. I could control the compressor from my fabbed switch in the cab?
Yup, that sounds about right. You'll also need an inline 30 amp fuse at the battery. You should split the stock wiring and attach your ground close to the compressor.

If you need any help, let me know. I've got a soldering iron and plenty of spare wire and connectors if you need them.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Good deal, now it seems like I can finally get this done! I am not electrically smart so that was holding me up some. All I need is the inline fuse now, and I am going to connect it to my switch on the daystar panel. Where can I get an inline fuse and aren't they already connected to a partial wire that you can splice into?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Thats my exact plan... My Compressor comes with a 30 Amp in line fuse so all I need is a Compressor mount from JeepSwag and some wires... already have the switch in place
You probably know this already, but just so that you don't make the same mistake that I did...

When you install the bracket from JeepSwag, make sure you turn off the engine, and pump the brakes repeatedly to release the vacuum from the brake booster.

I didn't and when the master cylinder was loosened, the o-ring got sucked into the booster. I couldn't get a good seal and went without power brakes for a week until the problem was figured out.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good deal, now it seems like I can finally get this done! I am not electrically smart so that was holding me up some. All I need is the inline fuse now, and I am going to connect it to my switch on the daystar panel. Where can I get an inline fuse and aren't they already connected to a partial wire that you can splice into?
Autozone or Walmart.

I'm actually hardwiring my compressor and running the wires for my amp tomorrow. You're welcome to join me and we can get your done too. Just let me know...
Old 03-19-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedRock GatorRaider
Autozone or Walmart.

I'm actually hardwiring my compressor and running the wires for my amp tomorrow. You're welcome to join me and we can get your done too. Just let me know...
That would be great but I have work at 2 tomorrow Yall have got me thinking about buying the Jeepswag mounting bracket for under the hood now Might be easier with having to run less wire and that. Thanks for the offer. If I get the mounting bracket I might give you a buzz and see if we could get together then. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Portable Air Compressor Hardwired??