Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Polk Tweeters - Anyone use these?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polk Tweeters - Anyone use these?

I'm looking at picking these up to replace the stock units in the Alpine "upgrade" that sound like a towel has been thrown over them even with the treble turned all the way up. Talk about muffled...

Anyway, has anyone used these? Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB1001 1-Inch Silk/Polymer Composite Dome Tweeters (Pair, Black): Car Electronics

Will I have any problems with the install? I also bought the shallow mount Polk 6.5's to go in the sound bar. Hoping these two components will work together to smooth out and bring the Alpine system to life. I honestly can't believe they get $400 for this...
Old 04-09-2013, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the Polk db6501 component system with 6.5 inch speakers and 1" tweeters and installed them up front. Super easy install and sounds great. Use a dremel or x-acto knife to make the tweeter "tombstones" a little bit bigger, and use some silicone sealant to hold them in place. I mounted the left side crossover behind a steel plate under the steering wheel column. And the right side crossover behind the glove box. But they sound great, would definitely recommend them.

Also, get the Crutchfield master install guide (it's Jeep specific) and it will walk you through the install. Instructions are clear and REALLY helpful. Good luck on the install.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mcsjk
I installed the Polk db6501 component system with 6.5 inch speakers and 1" tweeters and installed them up front. Super easy install and sounds great. Use a dremel or x-acto knife to make the tweeter "tombstones" a little bit bigger, and use some silicone sealant to hold them in place. I mounted the left side crossover behind a steel plate under the steering wheel column. And the right side crossover behind the glove box. But they sound great, would definitely recommend them.

Also, get the Crutchfield master install guide (it's Jeep specific) and it will walk you through the install. Instructions are clear and REALLY helpful. Good luck on the install.
I am actually going to try and put my Polk tweeters in tomorrow. Would you happen to have pictures of your install? Did you use any of the 2 brackets that come with the tweeters?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

i use the infinity reference series
great price on amazon
$40/pr i think
work AMAZINGLY WELL
Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know what the quality is like now but mb quart speakers were awesome back when I was building car stereos. I would give them a try. We found Polk, infinity , Rockford etc' very over rated.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Westtexasjku
i use the infinity reference series
great price on amazon
$40/pr i think
work AMAZINGLY WELL
All the Harman Infinitys work well in the Wrangler..... Can I ask if you have the Infinity Amp? I have some Infinity kappa series to add to mine....Aren't the Reference series also 2 ohm? and the ReferenceX are 3 ohm i think....All 2 ohm speakers on the system will give you the Best... The Infinity Premium i have on my Sahara was when Jeep did the Bi-Amp on the Front Speakers and it still hasn't found another person's system sound like this one....lol...I keep Collecting Audio for other Jeep and know I have too Much....Kicker Amp, Infinity Amp, Kenwood 1000 watt...lol....plus I got a steal on this Jeep Amp from the 19 speaker system in the SRTs...got this baby for $40...take a look at what the Mopar Discounted price on it is....lol...

2012 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE STR8, 6.4L V8 SRT HEMI MDS, 5-Speed Auto W5A580.
[RDH] Used With RCA Speakers.
Stock Code 05035129AC
Manufacturer Chrysler
Categories Electrical > Radio, Antenna, Speakers, DVD, and Video systems
Assemblies Speakers Instrument Panel and Quarters and Amplifiers

Your Price $ 1415.00

$40 is what i paid...lol.....

The SRT Harman™ System speaker system includes speakers in 14 locations. Each of the standard speakers is replaced with Harman™ speakers.

One 8.89 centimeter (3.5 inch) diameter speaker is installed in the center of the instrument panel under the defroster grille (1).
One 2.54 centimeter (1 inch) silk dome tweeter speaker is located in the mirror flag area of each front doors (2).
One 15.2 X 22.9 centimeter (6 X 9 inch) speaker is located in each front door (3).
One 8.89 centimeter (3.5 inch) diameter speaker is located in each front door (4).
One 2.54 centimeter (1 inch) silk dome tweeter speaker is located in each rear door (5).
One 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch) diameter speaker is located in each rear door (6).
One 25.4 centimeter (10 inch) subwoofer located in the right side quarter panel (7)
One 8.89 centimeter (3.5 inch) diameter speaker is installed in each of the D-Pillars (8).
The SRT Harman™ speaker system also includes a 825-watt amplifier located in the left side quarter panel (9).
Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 AM
JK Newbie

I use the polk tweeters...sound good and march my interior...

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1029187952.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	448170  
Old 04-30-2013, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 12SilveRR_Bullet
I am actually going to try and put my Polk tweeters in tomorrow. Would you happen to have pictures of your install? Did you use any of the 2 brackets that come with the tweeters?
My apologies for not getting back to you, I just saw this. I hope your install went well, I do not have any pictures of the actual installation, but it is super easy and straightforward. I used the plastic bracket with the lip on it, used an X-acto knife to make the hole in the tombstone a little bit bigger and then used some silicone sealant to glue the tweeter to the tombstone

Quick Reply: Polk Tweeters - Anyone use these?