Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

PLEASE HELP with OEM Trailer Hitch Wiring

Old 04-16-2015, 12:51 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I believe the M2 fuse in the TIPM is related to the trailer. If you don't have the tow package then the fuse is probably not installed.
That's not a signal or brake fuse. 12 volt accessory to trailer on 7 pin plug...maybe. All the trailer lighting runs off the tow vehicle circuits and it doesn't know or care if there's 20 trailers behind it unless the total amp draw exceeds the the fuse rating.

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 04-16-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '15 Rubicon Unlimited, no factory tow package. I bought and installed the qudratec hitch receiver and harness. Plugged into the left rear tail light harness. Mine works fine. No flash required. You do not need to get your pcm flashed for the tow package.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

So I called 3 different Jeep dealerships talked to both parts and service dept. I ask parts if there was a difference in the harness was told by all 3 that the same harness for 2007-2015. 2 of the parts guys told me that with the 2015 Jeep if the towing pkg was not bought with the Jeep from the factory that service had to enter a buyers code into the computer for the harness to work. I talked to service dept 2 told me it should work and ask if I had checked the pins for current? I told them yes they put me on hold and came back and ask for my vin# after I gave that to them they told me I would have to bring the jeep in to have the trailer code entered into the computer and it would then work. The 3rd servive tech told me if the Jeep was not ordered with towing pkg I would have to get the code entered into the computer. I told him how could I tell the fuses for towing were int the fuse box he ask for my vin# and told me it was not to set up a app. for have the code entered into the computer. $65-75 to have this done. :censored:
Old 04-16-2015, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by highoctane
I have a '15 Rubicon Unlimited, no factory tow package. I bought and installed the qudratec hitch receiver and harness. Plugged into the left rear tail light harness. Mine works fine. No flash required. You do not need to get your pcm flashed for the tow package.
How many pins are on your oem connector that plugs into the left rear tail light or wiring harness? Mine has 4 the 2014 has 5 and the one that is missing from my connector is the right turn/brake bottom center pin

This is he 2014 Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepplug.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	606645

This is my 2015 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150415_172004.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	606646

The wiring harness only has 4 pins also
Old 04-16-2015, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Doesn't matter if you have the tow package or not. NO flash required EVER. It's all just plug and play. If it doesn't work return it and get one that does. I have both 4 and 7 pin harnesses. When I installed the OEM 7 pin I didn't have to drop in a fuse because it had an inline. I found you can't run the 4 and 7 in tandem even though they all plug together. You have to remove the left Jeep rear light and plug in the harness you want to use that day. Right trailer turn signal won't work when both are plugged together.
Is this your situation?
I only have the 4 wire trailer harness the harness has a white/yellow wire coming from it which is the right side turn signal wire. But my stock oem plug that is in the jeep wiring harness that plugs into the left side rear tail light has no pin to match up with the white/yellow wire in the trailer wiring harness. So with out that how can I get the right side to work?
Old 04-19-2015, 01:54 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by vwhitlow
I only have the 4 wire trailer harness the harness has a white/yellow wire coming from it which is the right side turn signal wire. But my stock oem plug that is in the jeep wiring harness that plugs into the left side rear tail light has no pin to match up with the white/yellow wire in the trailer wiring harness. So with out that how can I get the right side to work?
Sure sounds like the wrong harness you have there. Trust me. I have both the 4pin and and 7 pin harnesses on my bumper. I plug in the the one that matches my trailers when I need to. Everything works unless I try to daisy chain them behind the left rear light pot. That's when I lose the right rear trailer light but only on the 7 pin plug. the 4 pin still works fine
If you have a tow harness that the pins don't match to the vehicle you have the wrong harness
There is NO FLASH REQUIRED EVER. That just flags you are towing for warranty refusals.
Look at all the towing threads where Cleatus is towing 8000 pounds with a tow rating of 3500 Yah you can do it but they aren't gonna fix it unless they know you never went over load. How do they know you went over? They don't. So they just flag using your VIN. And remember that if your ride doesn't have the gearing requirements that come with a factory tow package....
If your tail harness pins don't match up with the vehicle pins get your money back and get the right one. Proper harness is not expensive from the stealership.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:04 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by vwhitlow
So I called 3 different Jeep dealerships talked to both parts and service dept. I ask parts if there was a difference in the harness was told by all 3 that the same harness for 2007-2015. 2 of the parts guys told me that with the 2015 Jeep if the towing pkg was not bought with the Jeep from the factory that service had to enter a buyers code into the computer for the harness to work. I talked to service dept 2 told me it should work and ask if I had checked the pins for current? I told them yes they put me on hold and came back and ask for my vin# after I gave that to them they told me I would have to bring the jeep in to have the trailer code entered into the computer and it would then work. The 3rd servive tech told me if the Jeep was not ordered with towing pkg I would have to get the code entered into the computer. I told him how could I tell the fuses for towing were int the fuse box he ask for my vin# and told me it was not to set up a app. for have the code entered into the computer. $65-75 to have this done. :censored:
By referring to 'service tech' are you talking about the dude you first talk to after entering? If so that's a service 'advisor' and if he knew his stuff he'd be out back on the floor making more money.
By referring to 'parts guys' are you talking about the dude that found out that McDonalds doesn't pay as much as looking up your VIN and figuring out the part # that you tell him you need? Or did you find a place where they promote mechanics to the parts counter?
$65-75 to get a Bu-l Sh-t job done sounds like they don't know how much to charge for a non existant sevice
Just buy the right harness and plug it in. I'll only charge....If you're afraid to do it.
Only difference in factory tow package or not is the harness and the correct gearing.

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 04-19-2015 at 02:14 AM.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP with OEM Trailer Hitch Wiring