Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Playing Sirius or Pandora through the Mopar iPod/iPhone connector????

Old 07-13-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Playing Sirius or Pandora through the Mopar iPod/iPhone connector????

If you have a Mygig with the Mopar 82211853 iPod / iPhone connector, can you also use it to listen to Sirius or Pandora when your phone is streaming it through its data connection?

I know you can't use on screen controls on the Mygig to change anything, but if you connect your iPhone and then manually load the app.......will the audio still come through?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. Should work with any head unit that has the input jack on the face :-)
Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I use pandora on mine all the time!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TonyD
Yup. Should work with any head unit that has the input jack on the face :-)
The input jack on the face has nothing to do with my question. I know I can plug a 3.5mm audio patch cord between the radio face and phone and it works fine. My question was if I would get the same results by plugging the Mopar iPod cable into the phone instead of using the jack on the front of the radio. Obviously I will be be able to listen to the music on my phone this way, but I wanted to make sure I would also be able to listen to music that would be streaming through the data connection.

To make a long story somewhat short. My free trial subscription just ran out on a 2010 RER I bought last year. I am surrounded by good 3G coverage, so instead of renewing my Sirius subscription (that I already pay for in two other vehicles) plus now adding the JK.......I would like to shitcan all of my radio subscriptions and instead rely on the 3G data connection on my iPhone to stream Sirius using a cheaper internet only subscription.

I wanted to make sure that Mopar cable does what I want before I drop the $80 on it. It it doesn't then I'm going to sell my Mygig and go with an aftermarket head unit.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Warpedguy77
I use pandora on mine all the time!
Through the 3.5mm input jack on the face plate, or through the Mopar iPod/iPhone connector?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

on my Dodge Nitro (with mygig) this was not possible to do thought the iPod/iPhone connector as it puts the phone into accessory mode for the stereo to control it. Now there are slight differences between the mygig in the jeep and dodge but I would guess fundementally the same.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
The input jack on the face has nothing to do with my question. I know I can plug a 3.5mm audio patch cord between the radio face and phone and it works fine. My question was if I would get the same results by plugging the Mopar iPod cable into the phone instead of using the jack on the front of the radio. Obviously I will be be able to listen to the music on my phone this way, but I wanted to make sure I would also be able to listen to music that would be streaming through the data connection.

To make a long story somewhat short. My free trial subscription just ran out on a 2010 RER I bought last year. I am surrounded by good 3G coverage, so instead of renewing my Sirius subscription (that I already pay for in two other vehicles) plus now adding the JK.......I would like to shitcan all of my radio subscriptions and instead rely on the 3G data connection on my iPhone to stream Sirius using a cheaper internet only subscription.

I wanted to make sure that Mopar cable does what I want before I drop the $80 on it. It it doesn't then I'm going to sell my Mygig and go with an aftermarket head unit.
Yeah, i caught that i misread your inqury as soon as i posted... I was wondering what i will do too when my subscription runs out in December. i like sirius, hate the radio (havent used in in years with previous auto's) but not sure i want to pay for it. really like pandora though. Leaning towards maybe a head unit upgrade with better ipod/phone connectivity when free sirius runs out... sorry, just thinking out loud.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
If you have a Mygig with the Mopar 82211853 iPod / iPhone connector, can you also use it to listen to Sirius or Pandora when your phone is streaming it through its data connection?

I know you can't use on screen controls on the Mygig to change anything, but if you connect your iPhone and then manually load the app.......will the audio still come through?
the question is do you play it through the connector or the jack? when i hook my iphone to my clock radio i can only play Itunes and control it with the on radio controls.... i would imagine it works the same way in the car. the itunes players programing is controllable through the jack, but other apps (if you can get it to play through the connector i cant) are not controllable through an interface only on the phone.

The device was designed to play music through itunes the other stuff is just aftermarket software.

now i dont have a ipod interface on my jeep so i dont know the answer for the jeep... the my subaru does and will not play pandora through the interface only through the jack.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gijeep
the question is do you play it through the connector or the jack? when i hook my iphone to my clock radio i can only play Itunes and control it with the on radio controls.... i would imagine it works the same way in the car.
Now see, I have an iPod/iPhone portable boombox at home that allows me to do just that. I can listen to the music loaded on my iPhone, or I can load the Pandora app and the music plays through just fine.......and it connects through the connector on the bottom of the phone. Nothing plugs into the headphone jack. I can even use the boombox remote to change songs in Pandora.

So I think it must have more to do with whatever hardware Jeep decided to use in the Mygig and connector cable. If the Jeep hardware forces the iPhone into an accessory mode and locks the screen then I'm pretty sure it won't work, but I'm hoping it just enables the digital audio out on the bottom connector.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Red08JK
on my Dodge Nitro (with mygig) this was not possible to do thought the iPod/iPhone connector as it puts the phone into accessory mode for the stereo to control it. Now there are slight differences between the mygig in the jeep and dodge but I would guess fundementally the same.
Thats what I was afraid of. fuckers.......they could have made it work.

Can anyone say for sure on the Jeep?

Quick Reply: Playing Sirius or Pandora through the Mopar iPod/iPhone connector????