Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Planning ahead.. headlights and fogs

Old 02-15-2012, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yessamskates
how are the hellfire's? any thoughts?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bofa
...it sounds like the IPF replacements and some brighter bulbs is a cost effective option.
There will be haters of, and those that advise against, the IPF lights but I love mine. I installed them and use the Sylvania XtraVision bulbs and it's a 100% improvement over the stock setup for both light output and beam pattern. It's a cost effective purchase and the sylvania bulbs are easy to find and cheap to replace. The legality of them not being DOT approved is certainly something to keep in mind but my vehicle has been through two NC state inspections with them and they've never said anything about them.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheQuiet1
There will be haters of, and those that advise against, the IPF lights but I love mine. I installed them and use the Sylvania XtraVision bulbs and it's a 100% improvement over the stock setup for both light output and beam pattern. It's a cost effective purchase and the sylvania bulbs are easy to find and cheap to replace. The legality of them not being DOT approved is certainly something to keep in mind but my vehicle has been through two NC state inspections with them and they've never said anything about them.
Did you replace the harness or any other gear in the Jeep, or just swap out the bulbs? One thing I loved about my Rover were the $2000 lights which came as option. These Wranglers are dangerous. Can't see anything ay night.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shulaj
Did you replace the harness or any other gear in the Jeep, or just swap out the bulbs? One thing I loved about my Rover were the $2000 lights which came as option. These Wranglers are dangerous. Can't see anything ay night.
I purchased the IPF 920H4 kit which included housings, bulbs, and harness adapters to convert the factory harness to a H4 bulb configuration. I didn't use the bulbs that came with the IPF kit because they were to blue in color, hence my use of the Xtravision bulbs. That combo has worked very well for me personally. No other gear needed to be changed in the Jeep.

Just about every car on the road has better lights stock than the Wrangler.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. Still reading and research.. been doing it all day.

Has anyone had luck with aftermarket projectors, like the ones found on ebay? I generally avoid ebay junk... not sure if my account is still active even. But as I look at the cost of Cibie+Harness+Bulbs I'm nearing $350 so I want to make sure I'm getting the best bang-for-buck.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

I got the Hellas with harness. It works great. Just google ralleylights .
Old 02-15-2012, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks - that was a lot of good reading. It sounds like I'm still on track with the Cibies.

How are the fogs with HIDs? Are they effective and hows the lighting pattern?

Anyone by chance have a pic with Cibie headlights + HID fogs?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
It has nothing to do with being a hater. It's that there's better, legal and cheaper/same priced options out there. Even if the lights are no better than the IPFs, they're still legal and are the same price or cheaper. If there was a huge price gap, I could understand... but there's not.

The IPFs are $149 at Northridge. Cibies are $150. Hella's are ~$80ish. Harness is ~$120. The harness should be used regardless of what type/brand of housing you get.

The legality part has never really bothered me... however when it comes to lights, being legal (or at least courteous to others) should be a concern/consideration. Running headlights that bother other drivers (HIDs or lights with crappy reflectors) may put more light on the road, however there's also potentially some risk to others. More so than say not wearing your seatbelt, or not running fenders, etc.

Anyway to the OP, do some research, but whatever you choose, take some pics and I hope it works out for you.
Sorry Riptide, I wasn't implying you were a hater. I agree, there are plenty of choices out there for aftermarket headlights... some DOT approved, others that are not. I also agree that the lights need to be friendly towards oncoming traffic. The IPF kit I have has a really nice cutoff and in the time I've had them I've only been flashed a couple of times, both times when I was coming over the crest of a hill.

To the OP... This forum is gold for info on things like this. I'm sure the search function will bring up results for just about any type of aftermarket headlight out there. If price is no object, go for the best. If you're on a budget there are kits to suit your needs.

Jeep On!

Last edited by TheQuiet1; 02-15-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I have the IPF kit with the bulbs and am very happy with them. Huge improvement over stock. When these bulbs go I will try something different and compare them

Quick Reply: Planning ahead.. headlights and fogs