Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Pioneer AppRadio

Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pioneer AppRadio

Seen this? heard about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SPH-DA.../dp/B0054JGGC8

Really cool concept but needs bugs worked out and to add soem features.

Only 1 output for amp? Blah

But you control the wholething with iPhone!! Would be great to use for maps and stuff..

For those of us who dont have a mygig and dont want to spend a G on a headunit.

I am not in the market for a headunit right now but am always browsing to see what I will get eventually. Hopefully version 2 is out of this with a bunch of good features!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nobody?
I finally start working after 2monthes w/o a job on Monday...anddd eBay just said 6mo 0%... $319.00 shipped is pretty tempting.

The AUX input in my stock headunit is bugging out!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pioneer-appradio.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	239014
Old 11-19-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had one, replaced it with an Avic-z130BT in less than a week. I'll sell you mine for 200 shipped
Old 11-20-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dozer2012
Had one, replaced it with an Avic-z130BT in less than a week. I'll sell you mine for 200 shipped
What made you replace it so quickly? I am also looking at that same unit. Lots of love / hate reviews on it.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought mine for $200 of eBay. I love it. I'll make it easy and give you guys my opinion by listing my own pros and cons.
Pros:
It's cheap. If it gets stolen, I will cry a little less.
It looks great in the dash in the JK.
It displays the google map app from my iphone, with full touch screen control. (pinch to zoom in/out) or I can use the motionx gps (99¢)
Since I have had it, 3 new apps have been released. I'm looking forward to more.
Most of all... It has a "Rdio" app. If you don't know what this is, go to their website and check it out, there is a free week trial. It is direct competition with Spotify. This is the main reason I have the unit.
Last pro that I can think of is for us tech geeks. The Internet appradio community have just started to hack it. I can see many homebrew apps in the near future. People are allready starting to run windows CE on it and have customized backgrounds and such. Fun
Cons:
It is the first generation of this type of unit. It has bugs that make you scratch your head and wonder how they let that get by them in the testing or quality control of the product. Sometimes you have to reboot it or find a different way to back out of an app. A lot of the smaller bugs, you learn to work around just like learning a new cell phone.
The bluetooth phone is quirky. It takes like 5-10 seconds for it to switch over or answer which really confuses me or the caller when you'd scrambling to connect.
The sound quality is much better than stock, but I have heard better sounding head units. This could be due to the stock speakers in the JK or the head unit. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, just not amazing.
The iPhone app for listening to music stored on your iPhone in lame. No motion scrolling. Only page down buttons. Really? Every third party app or the unit supports multi touch. Just not the "radio" or "iPod" apps. Hmmm...

Overall, I would buy it again if it was stolen. Mainly for my music subscription online streaming and the gps. I'm also excited for hacks.
I'll subscribe to this thread so I can patch in any holes I might have missed in my "review".

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1820502025.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	239240
Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Interesting. This might be something I could talk the wife into letting me get
Old 11-20-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool concept, but why wouldn't they give it Bluetooth music streaming capability? Or did I miss that feature?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phoenix
Cool concept, but why wouldn't they give it Bluetooth music streaming capability? Or did I miss that feature?
No streaming. I know, that is def a con that I missed.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AppRadio