Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Pioneer app radio 3

Old 01-01-2014, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer app radio 3

I recently put this in my 2010 JK. I'm not entirely happy with the sound. It seems the sub woofer has turned into just another speaker. At high volume all is distorted. I realize they had to bypass the factory amp but I assumed the pioneer would be able to power the sub and speakers. Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have one.... decided it was best in the truck after trying it in the Jeep.

I found the sound to be decent in both vehicles. I used an aftermarket amp with the Jeep and integrated the factory amp in the Ford.

Have you looked into the menu system? There are options for audio, including speaker setup. Also look at the manual for instructions on how to wire the sub.

I think you'd be best adding an amp to get the sound you desire.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Have one.... decided it was best in the truck after trying it in the Jeep. I found the sound to be decent in both vehicles. I used an aftermarket amp with the Jeep and integrated the factory amp in the Ford. Have you looked into the menu system? There are options for audio, including speaker setup. Also look at the manual for instructions on how to wire the sub. I think you'd be best adding an amp to get the sound you desire.
Nothing in the audio options do the trick. Will an amp help the stock speakers from being distorted or cause more distortion. Also will it isolate the sub from the rear speakers or just amplify them all together?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2010 Sahara unlimited
Nothing in the audio options do the trick. Will an amp help the stock speakers from being distorted or cause more distortion. Also will it isolate the sub from the rear speakers or just amplify them all together?

My radio's home button fails and the HU is back for service, so from memory and just some basic ideas....

How do you have the wiring hooked up (speakers and sub) and what are your current setting in the 'audio' section of the radio's setup?

Have you verified all your wiring against the schematic in the manual and have you ensured all your connections are clean? Verify you are using the high level outputs to get sound to the speakers.

You understand by wiring up a sub, you remove the rear sound bar (both cannot be connected simultaneously)... so if you have that hooked up, you might be causing yourself undo pain. Also, as I am not sure the impedance of the stock sub or whatever you are using, make sure to follow the instructions for wiring against two or four ohms, as it should be different.

My guess is you have more than one issue going on... might be wiring, might be a setting in the HU, might be a failure at either the radio or the speakers? Likely a combo of the first two.

I never utilized the radio sans amp, so I am not sure how it would sound... my guess is it should be clean, just low output.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

I had it done at PC Richards. I was told you can't use this unit with the factory amp. The sub and sound bar worked together with the stock radio. I think a trip back to PC Richards is in order. It was so new I honestly don't think they know what they're doing at this point.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2010 Sahara unlimited
I had it done at PC Richards. I was told you can't use this unit with the factory amp. The sub and sound bar worked together with the stock radio. I think a trip back to PC Richards is in order. It was so new I honestly don't think they know what they're doing at this point.

I believe there is a PAC/Metra/Axxess harness to mate them together in the Jeep as I used in the Ford.

You might have them look into that when you go back. Have them add it at cost/labor free for the hassle. They won't lose money, you get your shit taken care of... win-win.

As for the radio being new... really, it's a radio. I don't think they differ too much in the way they get wired in and all included instructions were very clear. Don't give them slack for that reason. If it's wiring or basic setup, they screwed up.

Good luck and report back what you think after the dust has settled... this is one cool radio!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

I'll keep you posted. I'm away now but when I get back I'm definitely going back. I think the radio is cool. Its Only a sound issue. I wish you could use the screen to control the apps on the radio. Did you find a GPS gat works well on the radio. I'm still using google maps on the iPhone but I'd like to be able to control it from the screen. The one gps I downloaded doesn't work well at all.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I almost got this when I was upgrading.. The app part is pretty cool. But as a stereo this thing is junk. Two 2v preouts wtf.

at least they finally put in a cd/dvd drive haha

If your looking for high quality audio scrap this thing. If you want something that looks cool, and just uses your phone for everything this works.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default Usability?

How would you rate the integration with your phone? I've wanted to get this radio to interface with my Android, but have been hesitant from some of the reviews I saw for the Appradio 2.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Look up ARU on xda... you'll get full access to the phone. Not sure what solution exists for the iPhone, if any.

Quick Reply: Pioneer app radio 3