Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

A Pillar Install Questions

Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElMuff
An accessory relay is all you will need. It is the easiest way to wire, I have done both ways.

Here is how I wire mine (the relay should be labeled):
Terminal 85 - Fused line to battery
Terminal 86 - + lead to accessory
Terminal 87 - Ground
Terminal 30 - To switch

I am sure other people have other ways to wire, but I have found this to be the easiest way to start out.
So for 4 switches, i would get 4 relays, and I have to fuse the line to battery, is that correct?

Does the fuse depend on the accessory, or is there a golden standard for what Amp to use?

I'm assuming you mount them in the engine compartment, possibly in a DIY box of some kind? I can get this done at Home Desperate if need be.

So if I run 4 lines to the battery, can I run those all through 1 fuse? or should each be ran seperate?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by manamal
So for 4 switches, i would get 4 relays, and I have to fuse the line to battery, is that correct?

Does the fuse depend on the accessory, or is there a golden standard for what Amp to use?

I'm assuming you mount them in the engine compartment, possibly in a DIY box of some kind? I can get this done at Home Desperate if need be.

So if I run 4 lines to the battery, can I run those all through 1 fuse? or should each be ran seperate?
I run seperate lines for each accessory, it prevents you from overloading the fuse as quickly. As far as fuse size, that all depends on what accessories you are running. Generally speaking, for most applications a 20A fuse will work. Also, remember to use the proper wire size when running wire. All of my relays are mounted in the engine compartment on the fender wall. That way I can sare the same ground. It isn't waterproof, but if I am in water that deep, my fuses blowing is the least of my concerns.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so the wire that goes back to the switch, that should go to the "out" connection?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so the wire that goes back to the switch, that should go to the "out" connection?
You are correct! I can see you are starting to get it now!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElMuff
You are correct! I can see you are starting to get it now!
lol, far from it!!!

Ok, now i have 2 final questions. After this, i honestly think i'll be able to do this.

Question 1) To determine what fuse to use for each accessory, do you look at the specs and reference the DRAW amperage? Like if my CB Draws 30amps, do i put in a 30 fuse? is there a rule to follow here? (this may be a bad example... but i think you get what I'm asking)

Question 2) When connecting the hot wire from the battery (thru a fuse) to the relay, where is the best place to connect this to the battery? Are people loosening the screws on the Red Terminal and wedging the wires in between the connections then tightening it back up? Adding wing nuts to the threads that are already there and using O connectors at the end of the wire? What is best practice here?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lol, far from it!!!

Ok, now i have 2 final questions. After this, i honestly think i'll be able to do this.

Question 1) To determine what fuse to use for each accessory, do you look at the specs and reference the DRAW amperage? Like if my CB Draws 30amps, do i put in a 30 fuse? is there a rule to follow here? (this may be a bad example... but i think you get what I'm asking)

Question 2) When connecting the hot wire from the battery (thru a fuse) to the relay, where is the best place to connect this to the battery? Are people loosening the screws on the Red Terminal and wedging the wires in between the connections then tightening it back up? Adding wing nuts to the threads that are already there and using O connectors at the end of the wire? What is best practice here?
1) Yes: Fuse, Wire and Relay size depend on the connected device ( Load ).

2) Some people use a distribution block. I would just simply run them back to the battery.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
1) Yes: Fuse, Wire and Relay size depend on the connected device ( Load ).

2) Some people use a distribution block. I would just simply run them back to the battery.
So is there some kind of chart to use for determining the wire size? and Fuse?

see... more questions...
Old 01-02-2013, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

lol, far from it!!!

Answer 1. Honestly with the fuses, I usually use what ever the manufacturer reccomends with what ever accessory I am putting in. I figure they have done the testing for me! But if I ever have any questions, I go slightly larger than the amp draw listed for the device.

Answer 2. My terminal wires actually have an auxillary post on the wire that I use to hook everything in with O connectors. For cars in the past that have not had this, I have used O connectors that are large enough to go on top of the post. So I would remove the wires, put the connector on, then put the terminal wires back on.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drew up a quick diagram for you of a single switch controlling a pair of lights.

Typically 14, possibly 12 awg wire fused at 15 amps coming from the battery or custom fuse block to a 12VDC automotive relay at terminal 87 or 30. (wiring power to terminal 87 eliminates terminal 87a being energized if it is not being used).
Terminal 30 or 87 would go to your load or lights. Ground the lights with as short of a lead as possible to the frame or grounding nut. Make a good connection to ground.

Tap off of a 12VDC accessory wire that is only hot when the vehicle is on or use a fuse tap like Add-A-Circuit fuse holder in the fuse box and use a piece of 16 or 18 awg wire fused with a 5 amp or less fuse. This wire will run to the switch power terminal and then out of the switch load terminal to the relay at terminal 85 or 86. Then ground the relay out of the opposite terminal, either 85 or 86.

Ground the switch so the switch l.e.d. or indicator lamp will light when you turn on your auxiliary lighting.
Click image for larger version

Name:	aux light wiring.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	404904

Do a search for basic car electronics and check out the top search result to find some info on relays, wire and basic circuits.

Last edited by kaffeene; 01-02-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is fantastic, thank you everyone for all the information. I'll need to go buy some new stuff, but i should be able to get this all laid out prior to starting in again. But you guessed it, more questions!!!!

1) I can't ground 2 differnt wires to the same nut, right? (I know thats probably a dumb question but if i'm going to ground 4 switches in the A Pod, they all have to go somewhere in or near the side panel.

2) For the wires going to the battery terminal, can they touch each other at point of contact with the terminal?

3) My CB is ground to a nut behind the a pillar panel, but its away from the antenna wire as i thought it may interfere, does the antenna need to be ground too?

I'm assuming that my fuse box is under the left dash panel or behind the glove box.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Install Questions