Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

A Pillar Install Questions

Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Pillar Install Questions

So my A Pillar with rocker switches is on the way. I'm 100% newb to automobile electronics. I've done a lot of searching through this forum, and the internet for a detailed installation, and I think I can piece together something decent from what I've found. The reason for my post is that if you know of or have posted a nice detailed installation guide, please share.

Otherwise, what is important to me is that after i use 2 of the rocker switches (1 for some new lights i got and maybe 1 for my new CB) I'd like to wire up the other 2 so i dont have to go back into the pane when i add more lights, etc. I'm assuming the dead end wires will run into the engine compartment, possibly to the relay and just not be connected there? does that sound right?

Also, i read somewhere that someone powered the A Pillar from the 12 volt lighter wiring, is that the best way to do it? i'm not really looking to go across the dash and remove a bunch of panels. But i'll do what I have to, to do it right. Please let me know if you can help.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont have a write up or anything but the switches are really easy to install. You do have to take off a lot of the plastic trim and your visor to get it on. I tapped into the switched power outlet on the dash to power the switches and hooked up all 4 like you are planning on. I actually ended all the open connections in the side part of the dash side panel. Easy to connect when I need them. If you have any specific questions I might be able to help out a little but more.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you find any good writeups would like to see them send me a message please!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

The instructions are pretty easy to follow. They did a really good job putting them together. Just get good lights to install for your first project, a nice wire harness and good directions will make you more comfortable and want to do more.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

What do you mean by "Switched Power Outlet" ?? Put that in "idiot-terms" for me?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is the power outlet in your dash that only works when the jeep is on. When they keys are in and turned. Mine is the outlet on the left side. I just can't remember which one is the hot wire.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElMuff
It is the power outlet in your dash that only works when the jeep is on. When they keys are in and turned. Mine is the outlet on the left side. I just can't remember which one is the hot wire.
Where is this outlet? closer to center console? is this the one that is near the lighter?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, I might be confusing you more. I used the lighter as a power source.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElMuff
Oh, I might be confusing you more. I used the lighter as a power source.
Yea, that's going to be a task to get to, unless thats the wya that their instructions recommend going for it. It appears that everything is being delivered today, so hopefully i'll have it all operational by days end. Hopefully.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stop by your locakl auto supply store and purchase a "Fuse Tap". ronjenx has a very simple post on how to use them. Just simply plug it into an empty ( accessory ) fuse holder. WARNING: This system is for using your switches w/ relays ONLY. Run these wires from the engine bay to the new switch location.
1) 12 volt ( + ) wire. { From Fuse Tap }
1) Ground Wire
1) Wire for every switch. ( 4 switches = 4 wires ).

From this point you can expand as wanted / needed.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Install Questions