Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

PIAA off road lights vs. Rigid LED's

Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting turn of events (for me at least). I was looking at my VisionX 6" lights on my A-pillar. I was noticing the rust all over them after only 2 years of use. I then opened my jk-forum app and what appears as the current thread?? Well, this one of course.

I thought about putting the effort into sanding and repainting them, but after some thought and noticing that my HID headlights are brighter, I've decided that I'm in the market for some new lights.

Like a previous post mentioned, I'm not really into the new style square or even slimline design. I just want a regular looking 6" lamp.

Any suggestions for a lamp that will throw some decent output and is durable too??
Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My setup.

Sent from my Samsung Ativ S using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

Default Piaa 520 atp

I have PIAA 520 ATP lights and thought I would give my opinion.

First, the finish is top notch. Almost 2 years old, and not a single speck of rust. Light output is awesome, light pattern is awesome.

Second, and here is where my problem with them is: One light went out. Bulbs are expensive, so I didn't really want to replace them. I removed the bulb, and noticed that it wasn't really burnt out, but that the prong of the bulb where it attaches to the base had oxidized and interrupted the connection.

The top hole in the light base shows the light prong and the prong clamp. (They have been cleaned off in this pic)

This happened a few weeks ago, and then in the other light yesterday. The problem is very easy to fix, but an annoying problem to have with $200 lights

Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check out those 520s
Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I have PIAA 520 ATP lights and thought I would give my opinion.

First, the finish is top notch. Almost 2 years old, and not a single speck of rust. Light output is awesome, light pattern is awesome.

Second, and here is where my problem with them is: One light went out. Bulbs are expensive, so I didn't really want to replace them. I removed the bulb, and noticed that it wasn't really burnt out, but that the prong of the bulb where it attaches to the base had oxidized and interrupted the connection.

The top hole in the light base shows the light prong and the prong clamp. (They have been cleaned off in this pic)

This happened a few weeks ago, and then in the other light yesterday. The problem is very easy to fix, but an annoying problem to have with $200 lights
Do you use them much?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Do you use them much?
Not for long periods of time, but I turn them on every once in awhile if it's dark enough out, maybe once a week?

For example, I used them while up in the mountains Friday night for 5-10 minutes. Saturday night, the passenger side wouldn't turn on. Took it off, removed the bulb, cleaned the post, and it works again
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some dielectric grease should keep the rust from interrupting your circuit and will provide some 'water resistance' to the connection at the same time....though if water hits the bulb then it could end poorly.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
I ordered mine from vvme.com. make sure to get 4300k as well. Anything higher is stupid blue color which actually decreases actual light output. Also, remember lumens ratings with all these led lights are drastically over exaggerated. The kit has everything you need to get light. You will need a h3 kit. Double check what bulb the Hellas use. But h3 rings a bell. Been a while since I ordered them.
I did basically the same thing. I got Hella housings and put 55w HID's in them, 4300k. Only difference is that I mounted them on my windshield and I got the kit through ddmtuning.com. Great kits and cheap price, haven't seen one of their kits fail yet and just did another install last week on a lancer. Somewhere over a dozen kits so far I've installed or helped put in over the last couple years.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer

I did basically the same thing. I got Hella housings and put 55w HID's in them, 4300k. Only difference is that I mounted them on my windshield and I got the kit through ddmtuning.com. Great kits and cheap price, haven't seen one of their kits fail yet and just did another install last week on a lancer. Somewhere over a dozen kits so far I've installed or helped put in over the last couple years.
Yep. Heard good reviews of ddm too. I used vvme because everyone on the mazda website were using them and I had good results. All I know is hella housings love hid kits. They put out amazing light.

Quick Reply: PIAA off road lights vs. Rigid LED's