Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

PIAA off road lights vs. Rigid LED's

Old 07-05-2013, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIAA off road lights vs. Rigid LED's

Looking at getting some off road lights for my JK. Trying to decide between the Rigid LED's style and a standard round, off road light like a PIAA or KC. I like the tough look of the standard, but have been hearing a lot of raving over the new LED's. Still not sure about the compact/contemporary look, but it seems to be the trend. Don't want to be the old guy on the trails with the outdated gear. Any input with pro's and con's to each would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dankdelta4
Looking at getting some off road lights for my JK. Trying to decide between the Rigid LED's style and a standard round, off road light like a PIAA or KC. I like the tough look of the standard, but have been hearing a lot of raving over the new LED's. Still not sure about the compact/contemporary look, but it seems to be the trend. Don't want to be the old guy on the trails with the outdated gear. Any input with pro's and con's to each would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rigids are incredible, I'd recommend going that way.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I switched from KC Slimlites to Rigid Duallys...the amount of light output from the Rigid's is impressive, I would highly recommend them.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

The light output in LEDS can't beat it,plus low power draw
Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Junkie

If you want amazing spread, get LED. If you want much better distance for your money, get traditional.

You'll have to spend 5x as much money to get the distance of a good HID or Halogen Spot light.

However, LED will draw less power, so you can have more running and they'll last longer if you need light and your Jeep is off.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have hella 500 driving beams with a 55w hid system in them. I love them. They light up over 1000m ahead. With good spread. I highly recommend them. And really inexpensive.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I run 2 sets of PIAA 520's, and they put out great light and very good range. I happen to like the classic look, and you can swap in hid's anytime you want, for even more output.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I run 2 sets of PIAA 520's, and they put out great light and very good range. I happen to like the classic look, and you can swap in hid's anytime you want, for even more output.
Good advice here ^^^^

I do as well love the classic round look ! Matches the headlights & flows well ! ... Only advice I can give is don't go with KC .... Quality is terrible.
If you decide traditional go with what was mentioned above ! If not and you decide on LED .... I personally don't think rigid can be beat ....
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up on the windshield the more traditional round lights look best in my opinion and like was said before, keep with the round look. LEDs anywhere else. LEDs draw so much less and are stupid bright. I would only buy name brand quality LEDs though because they have put more research into developing the optics for forward light projection, which typically is not a strong suit of LEDs .
Old 07-06-2013, 09:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Here are my Hellas.

Composite cases, great optics, and super bright.

Quick Reply: PIAA off road lights vs. Rigid LED's