Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

PIAA lights & teenage girls!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
true, but that isnt always an option for some people.

maybe he doesnt want her to kill the battery should she forget to shut them off?

I dunno about there, but in NY that is illegal. Certain lights can only work in certain ways (driving only with hibeams, fogs only with lowbeams. This DOES get checked on yearly inspections, and is also a ticketable offense for any officer who notices otherwise)

I prefer to be able to turn mine on or off whenever i so chose, but gotta appear legal to.
There are a lot of write-ups on this topic.

Here is a summary...
1) The power for those lights SHOULD come from the battery!
2) You run the power through a relay
a) The trigger wire for the relay is from the heated seat.. this only allows the power to be on when the key is on.
b) Run the trigger wire through your cabin switch...

Now she will have to have the key on to get power to the trigger wire, which then would require the interior switch to be turned on.. these two would then allow (low) power to flow to the relay, (think of it as an electic switch-- aka a small load to control a larger load) Then when the relay is triggered it would allow power to flow through it and to the added lights!

You can do it! It is quite easy, once you get what the components do.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

i am all for having your lights ignition switched. i did it for both sets on my jeep. think about it this way: sure you always remember to turn them off when you get out, but who is stopping that little prick in the parking lot from turning them on when the doors are off? then you come out to a dead battery. i do it to cover my own butt.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the advice guys. I’m assuming that the heated seat option is part of the standard loom on all JK’s. If you opt for the heaters then they are installed and plugged into the loom, if not then there’s a cable under the seat that’s not connected? I’ll look for this tonight but should I fail to find it. Could someone tell me where they connected to this wire, is it easy to find in the engine bay or best to just go under the seat?
As for inspections, I’m fairly sure I will have to remove the lights prior to the inspection. It’s so backward out here that if you fit a lift kit you have to remove it and return the car to original spec or it fails. I’ll probably have to take off the bumpers and put on the originals as well. On the up side you can pretty much do what you like after the inspection as the cops never stop you unless you have an accident.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tambil68
There are a lot of write-ups on this topic.

Here is a summary...
1) The power for those lights SHOULD come from the battery!
2) You run the power through a relay
a) The trigger wire for the relay is from the heated seat.. this only allows the power to be on when the key is on.
b) Run the trigger wire through your cabin switch...

Now she will have to have the key on to get power to the trigger wire, which then would require the interior switch to be turned on.. these two would then allow (low) power to flow to the relay, (think of it as an electic switch-- aka a small load to control a larger load) Then when the relay is triggered it would allow power to flow through it and to the added lights!

You can do it! It is quite easy, once you get what the components do.

X2, and yup, i wrote quite a few of them.

Yes, the POWER needs to be routed through a relay, but the trigger wire is optional as to power. If it's on the battery, you can turn them off/on whenever you want, even with the ignition off (bad idea IMO, leads to accidental discharge of the battery) If it's on a circuit that only has power on with ignition, or with highs only, or lows only etc, it is more customizable to your needs.

I think most people run the trigger wire directly to the TIPM fuse location and not an existing wire loom, but i cant confirm that as I didnt need to do that.

I used the factory stalk switch to energize the trigger wire to power up my aftermarket relay to work my aftermarket fogs.
My Driving light RELAY is triggered off of the hot wire for the passenger side highbeam, but i still have a switch to decide if they are on or off, but they can only be on if the high beams are on first.

If you are going to need to remove the bumper/lights for inspection, i would come up with some way to use plugs so you dont have to keep unconnecting reconnecting wires, that'd be a pain to me.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 01-13-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

First I have to retract part of my original post. I did refer to the JEEP as a car! In no way can these vehicles be considered mere cars. Having no other experience of driving a Wrangler and only taking this one in the dunes once I can say that I’m very impressed. Last time I had this much fun was in my younger days with an old series 3 light weight Landover. This is better, way better, a whole new game. Yes I have the bug, it was hard to give away, very hard. Now to work out how I can get one for myself?
Thanks again to everyone, I’ll put some pics up when I get everything working. And no doubt there will be many more questions as further up grades are purchased
Old 01-19-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

DW1964,
I am not sure if you have finally got the lights working.
I got into the same question as to where to connect the "trigger" wire (yellow with black stripe), did some research and found that it be connected to the head light. so the aux lights can only be switched on when the head light is on.
There are 3 cables going into the head light, so connect to the "WHITE-GREEN" stripe cable.

Hope this help you.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

I was expecting something different for the title of this thread, no offense BTW
Old 01-20-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Hey 18, 19 That's legal, isn't it?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM
-

the cat is still dead, man.... the cat is still dead....

Originally Posted by DW1964
First I have to retract part of my original post. I did refer to the JEEP as a car! In no way can these vehicles be considered mere cars. Having no other experience of driving a Wrangler and only taking this one in the dunes once I can say that I’m very impressed. Last time I had this much fun was in my younger days with an old series 3 light weight Landover. This is better, way better, a whole new game. Yes I have the bug, it was hard to give away, very hard. Now to work out how I can get one for myself?
Thanks again to everyone, I’ll put some pics up when I get everything working. And no doubt there will be many more questions as further up grades are purchased

Quick Reply: PIAA lights & teenage girls!!!