Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

PIAA lights & teenage girls!!!

Old 01-12-2009 | 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PIAA lights & teenage girls!!!

I recently purchased some PIAA lights, 4 driving lights that I’ve mounted on a roof bar and 2 fog/driving lights on the stubby bumper. The Jeep is a 2008 2 door JK. I’ve got the lights all wired in using the supplied loom. All except the switch wires, these need to be connected to a 12V supply that only comes on with the ignition. I’m afraid to start searching for this feed, find it then connect to something that I shouldn’t have. The car was a Christmas present for my daughter. You can imagine the grief I’m getting from her while her car is sitting idle waiting for dad to sort it. In this part of the world it’s not quite as simple as popping into a shop and getting a straight answer. So if someone could please point me in the right direction I would be one very grateful parent.

Dave
Old 01-12-2009 | 04:50 AM
JK Freak

you can use a multimeter and go into the fuse box under the hood to find a switched source. then use a fuse tap and get your power from there. should be good.
Old 01-12-2009 | 04:55 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of people use the feed for the heated seats option if they dont have that installed.

I think they are M8 or M9 in the TIPM

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 01-12-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2009 | 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
A lot of people use the feed for the heated seats option if they dont have that installed.

I think they are M8 or M9 in the TIPM
I'll second that... that's what I used for switched power for the PIAAs
Old 01-12-2009 | 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default switch wires

if PIAA switch is anything like the KC switch you should be able to run the switch wire straight to the battery that way you could use them whenever.......
Old 01-12-2009 | 08:01 AM
Eternal ***erator

true, but that isnt always an option for some people.

maybe he doesnt want her to kill the battery should she forget to shut them off?

I dunno about there, but in NY that is illegal. Certain lights can only work in certain ways (driving only with hibeams, fogs only with lowbeams. This DOES get checked on yearly inspections, and is also a ticketable offense for any officer who notices otherwise)

I prefer to be able to turn mine on or off whenever i so chose, but gotta appear legal to.
Old 01-12-2009 | 08:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

May the kitten you killed rest in peace.
Old 01-12-2009 | 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
true, but that isnt always an option for some people.

maybe he doesnt want her to kill the battery should she forget to shut them off?

I dunno about there, but in NY that is illegal. Certain lights can only work in certain ways (driving only with hibeams, fogs only with lowbeams. This DOES get checked on yearly inspections, and is also a ticketable offense for any officer who notices otherwise)

I prefer to be able to turn mine on or off whenever i so chose, but gotta appear legal to.
Yeah here in Florida no yearly inspections (thank God). and cops dont bother to check when they pull you. and the area I live around is countryish so most time you dont hardly run into people at night.

But hardwire to the battery is another option..... If you dont have inspections.
Old 01-12-2009 | 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
May the kitten you killed rest in peace.
huh? must be an inside joke.
Old 01-12-2009 | 08:36 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by whiskeytango
huh? must be an inside joke.
*L* The OP called the Jeep a car.

based on this: "Everytime you call a Jeep a car, God kills a kitten"

Quick Reply: PIAA lights & teenage girls!!!