Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

PIAA 520s or 525s?

Old 02-16-2008, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIAA 520s or 525s?

All,

Getting ready to buy lights. Putting driving lights on window frame.

Planning on putting a set on my bumper too. Any opinion on whether the PIAA 520s or 525s would work best on the bumper?

How would you wire them in?

Blue Mesa
Old 02-16-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

I have the PIAA 525 dual beam lights. I mounted them on the bumper. I wired the 525 lights so the driving LEDs would come on anytime the engine is running, with a switch to be able to turn them off. I switched the fog lights to be able to come on with the low beams and switched the driving lights to be able to come on with the bright lights.
I really like the 525s.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

I would like to know just how you wired that in such a way. I'm also considering the 525s. I love the dual light concept. more with less.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Jsr
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattdeez
I would like to know just how you wired that in such a way. I'm also considering the 525s. I love the dual light concept. more with less.
x2..
Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

def do the 525's on the bumper. had them on my tj and loved them. as for the wiring i just went through the fender well and up into the engine compartment and i wired the small illuminator bulb up to my head light loop so they would be on when ever my regular lights were on. looks sick

Last edited by Burchnj; 04-27-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 AM
JK Newbie

Get the 525's!!!
I have a set on windshield mounts. Love em' Wish I would have got the 550's (8"). 525's would be perfect on the bumper. I wired the LED's to the marker lights and just ran the supplied switch for lamp operation. The LED's are very nice, have gotten lots of comments from people about them. They are worth the money.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

525 ALL THE WAY !!!!! I GOT AND LOVE THEM .
Old 05-01-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

i just ordered a set...from Shrockworks...339 + 9.28 s/h Vs. Quadratec 389 + 44.00 s/h.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by mattdeez
Originally Posted by Jsr
x2..
Well it's been so long I don't quite remember.

First I trashed the PIAA switch. Not the whole wire harness, just the switch. I purchased two separate switches of my choice or what ever style you like.
I located the trigger wire for the fog lamps and connected that to the low beam wire on the headlights. I wired one switch into this wire so I could select when the lights came on. I then located the trigger wire for the driving lights and connected that to the high beam wire and added a switch. Now when I have my low beam on nothing changes until I activate the switch for the fog lights then the fog lights come on. When I turn the headlights off or to high beam the fog lights go off. When I have the high beams on I have to activate the driving light switch to turn on the driving lights. When I switch to low beam or turn off the lights the driving lights also go off. Now if I have both switches on the fogs come on with the low beam and the driving lights come on with the high beam. As far as the LED I connected the trigger wire into the acc power and it comes on anytime I turn on the jeep. The also stay on until I open a door, after shutting off the engine, or until the radio times out. I also added a switch so I could selectively turn off the LEDs when I want, but I seldom do. Hope this helps some.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I installed my lights about 3 weeks back. I went with the 520s primarily due to cost and the fact I wanted to put three lights on my ARB bumper. I went with the crystal ion fog lamps because I think the yellow lights illuminates better in poor driving conditions. The two lights on the ends are fogs and the light in the center is a driving light. Since I have two sets of lights i used two wiring harnesses and placed both of the relays right behind the battery by the firewall. I used the small foam hole behind the access compartment on the passengers side to run wires into the passenger compartment and wired the relays into two daystar rocker switches mounted onto a Daystar panel. Power for both sets of light is wired directly to the battery. The fogs trigger is tapped into the fog lights on the JK and I tapped the driving light trigger into the high beams. So if the rocker switches are activated the PIAA fogs come on when the stock fogs come on and the PIAA driving light comes on when the high beams are activated. The rocker switches illuminate when their respective lights come on and turn off when the PIAA lights are off If I don"t want the PIAA lights active, I just turn off the rocker switches and the stock lights work as they would normally.

Quick Reply: PIAA 520s or 525s?