Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

PAC harness adding aftermarket amp

Old 05-14-2013, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAC harness adding aftermarket amp

While I understand this isn't the best way to do this (there's a FANTASTIC write up in the forum bypassing the stock system) but it would be the easiest.
I also understand that the PAC harness will not allow you to change the tone for the sub box, but can you still control the tone for the stock speakers still connected to the infinity amp?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Bump for anybody's input?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

not 100% of what your asking for. but you could always get an amp with a bass boost button and gain control pot on it.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

I want to be able to still control the bass and treble in my stock speakers but I have heard that you lose that control with the PAC. Harness
Old 05-16-2013, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Factory equalizer Tone controls have no effect with the PAC adapter. Balance, fade and volume still work though
Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mattyk
not 100% of what your asking for. but you could always get an amp with a bass boost button and gain control pot on it.
You don't wanna use the bass boost on any amp. While you may have had good luck before with the boost, it's not a good option for adding more punch. The boost actually adds a little more oomph through distortion. Distortion that can lead to damage or failure of the speaker or sub attached. You should be able to safely turn the gain up to half, sometimes more, on most amps without distortion. Most people like the frequency on a sub amp around 80-100. Your gain controller is specifically to gain the amp back to 100% or anywhere else in between.

Do what you want. It is your stuff you messing with.. This is my experience and opinion, as I only want to help. A lot of times you get a cleaner sound and can get a little bit louder without the bass boost and upping the gain a little. Your frequency and subsonic filter are key too. Sometimes you just need more power. Wait, isn't that all the time???
Old 05-17-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bombout800

You don't wanna use the bass boost on any amp. While you may have had good luck before with the boost, it's not a good option for adding more punch. The boost actually adds a little more oomph through distortion. Distortion that can lead to damage or failure of the speaker or sub attached. You should be able to safely turn the gain up to half, sometimes more, on most amps without distortion. Most people like the frequency on a sub amp around 80-100. Your gain controller is specifically to gain the amp back to 100% or anywhere else in between.

Do what you want. It is your stuff you messing with.. This is my experience and opinion, as I only want to help. A lot of times you get a cleaner sound and can get a little bit louder without the bass boost and upping the gain a little. Your frequency and subsonic filter are key too. Sometimes you just need more power. Wait, isn't that all the time???
This, never a good idea to use bass boost. You should tune your system based on distortion limits. Start at the head unit and drive the amp out to the point of distortion. Then go to your amps and drive them at the volume your head unit will reach without distortion then slowly turn up the gain to the point of distortion, then back it off a bit. Do the same for each amp. Then hook your speakers up. That was you know the range of your head unit without clipping or causing distortion. If it goes to 45 without distortion, that should be your max volume.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I tested the output of the factory HU with the PAC adapter RCA outputs using an oscilliscope and the factory HU does not clip even at full volume (40).

Quick Reply: PAC harness adding aftermarket amp