Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

PAC C2A-CHY2 Problem

Old 02-01-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAC C2A-CHY2 Problem

I need some help with adding an aftermarket amp to run new power for subs and the spaker bar. I have the upgraded Infinity system, no MyGig.

I purchased the PAC C2A-CHY2 wiring harness believing that it would give me RCA lines with a un-crossedover signal, asoft remote/trigger line, and would fully control fade, balance, and volume. It installed easily, but 1 big problem...

There is NO VOLUME CONTROL.

I unplugged the factory harness from the radio and inserted this between the two connections. I followed the diagram exactly. Everything works except no volume control. And since I did this on a weekend, PAC's customer service line isn't open.

1) Was I mis-led into thinking this harness was the answer?

2) Does this have something to do with th CANBus stuff (I don't understand how that stuff works).

3) The stereo shop where I bought this harness suggested it gets installed on the output side of th amp versus at the radio because of the CANBus controls and that the connecting plugs would be the same there. I reached up to the stock amp, unplugged them, and they are different. I don't think they've done much with JK's.

All I want is to get a full pass signal with volume control to an aftermarket amp. What am I doing wrong? Help me PLEASE!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure its grounded correctly?

You should retain volume controls - and I am looking at the instructions and specs right now to make sure that's the right PAC part, and it says it is. There is always a possibility you have a bad one. You might try calling PAC directly on Monday when they reopen.

There are a few other mfg's for harnesses as well. If you bought the PAC harness from Crutchfield, call them - they should be able to help as well.

Last edited by JackMac4; 02-01-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

Grounding...

1) The new amp is grounded to the frame, which is different from PAC's diagram where they ground it bac to the battery...I would not expect that to be an issue.

2) There is a wire on the harness PAC calls an "Audio Signal Ground reference" for which I am somewhat unclear on where it may go. The directions state " The black wire coming out of the 18-pin connector will not be used in all applications. Test your amplifier for continuity from the RCA shield to the amplifyier ground connection terminal. If continuity exists, do not connect this black wire, isolate and do not use. If there is no continuity or if there is high resistence between these two points, connect the black wire to the radio's ground wire." - I am not an expert and not sure what this is telling me to check or how to check it.

To clarify what is happening...When volume on the stock radio is at 0, there is no sound. Turn to 1 and it blares loud, but does not get louder as I turn up the volume. The stock speakers I hae not messed with work normal, so only stuff coming thru this harness.

I see mention of a C2*R*-CHY2 (versus my C2*A*-CHY2 harness. Do I have the correct one?

Last edited by Big Clint; 02-01-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Clint
Grounding...

1) The new amp is grounded to the frame, which is different from PAC's diagram where they ground it bac to the battery...I would not expect that to be an issue.

2) There is a wire on the harness PAC calls an "Audio Signal Ground reference" for which I am somewhat unclear on where it may go. The directions state " The black wire coming out of the 18-pin connector will not be used in all applications. Test your amplifier for continuity from the RCA shield to the amplifyier ground connection terminal. If continuity exists, do not connect this black wire, isolate and do not use. If there is no continuity or if there is high resistence between these two points, connect the black wire to the radio's ground wire." - I am not an expert and not sure what this is telling me to check or how to check it.

To clarify what is happening...When volume on the stock radio is at 0, there is no sound. Turn to 1 and it blares loud, but does not get louder as I turn up the volume. The stock speakers I hae not messed with work normal, so only stuff coming thru this harness.

I see mention of a C2*R*-CHY2 (versus my C2*A*-CHY2 harness. Do I have the correct one?
The RCA shield is the metal shield on the outside of the RCA plug. So you need to check continuity with an ohm meter by touching one contact to the RCA plug shield and the other to the amp's ground. If there is continuity you're cool, if not, it means you're not grounded well enough and need to ground the harness by using that wire 18 they mention and tie it into the radio's ground. Does that make sense?

Yes, I went and double checked that myself. the C2R is for adding an aftermarket radio to work with the infinity system. The C2A is for adding an aftermarket amp to the OE radio.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the help. I'm going to call PAC customer support tomorrow and see what they say. I wouldn't think the ground wire would be the cause of no volume control, but with any luck maybe it is that simple.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

I talked to PAC yesterday. Everything seemed hooked up correctly per our conversation, and I was advised to return/exchange it for another one. Guessing this one is defective.

I should have asked this while on the phone with PAC, but if I use this harness and unplug the factory amp wiring and remove the factory amp, will I still have all controls functional thru this harness and to the new aftermarket setup? -- The reason I ask is thinking about replacing the factory amp to something I can better adjust, while also adding the sub-amp I originally started with...and mounting at least one of them in that factory hole.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

did you ever get this sorted out.... i am currently having the same issue.....
Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

So? Did you get this worked out?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

same problem here i have mygig
Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
b_c
JK Newbie

i talked w/ them today on the phone and they told me if you are going to remove your amp and replace w/ another aftermarket you need the AOEM-CHR3 adapter, not the one you guys are getting.

...will let you know how it goes when i get it hooked up.

b_c

Quick Reply: PAC C2A-CHY2 Problem