Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Which Optima battey ?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep801
After a month? Really? Chrysler helped me out with a transmission in my pick up after the warranty expired. I guess some companies stand behind their products and some cross their fingers until the warranty expires.
Transmission oil changes are recorded. A battery manufacturer can't know what a battery went through.
Over here, if my battery gets bad one day after the warranty expires, I'll have to buy a new one, regardless of which battery it is.

Last edited by GJeep; 05-07-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

AGM batteries are superior to the Optimas. I have COMPLETELY drained my DieHard Platinum twice over the winter due to an electrical wiring problem in my JK. It sits for months at a time so when I say completely, I mean Completely. Guess what? I charged it up and it works good as new. You cannot do this with an Optima, or any other style battery.

Again, Optimas are old news.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
AGM batteries are superior to the Optimas ..... Again, Optimas are old news.
Really ?

Well... what 'AGM' means, is -- Absorbent Glass Matt, and that's exactly what Optima batteries have...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery - Optima Diagram - AGM.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	609802

The same "reasoning" goes for the one with one battery which was drained. There are many variables. No one said that you can't ruin an Optima, or any battery, buy abusing it. He didn't compare it with another battery at the exact same conditions.
A single case, especially when the battery was abused, proves nothing.

Why bash a product without first studying the issue?
People cling to their opinions because they don't know that they don't know.

Last edited by GJeep; 05-07-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I understand warranties expire. I feel that companies that make a good product will stand behind it even if the warranty expires especially within a reasonable time frame. Apple replaced a phone approximately 1 month out of warranty. For a battery that costs considerably more than others I expect more. My experience with an Optima was bad. 3 years and a month is not worth the money and I will never purchase another one.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeep801
I understand warranties expire. I feel that companies that make a good product will stand behind it even if the warranty expires especially within a reasonable time frame. Apple replaced a phone approximately 1 month out of warranty. For a battery that costs considerably more than others I expect more. My experience with an Optima was bad. 3 years and a month is not worth the money and I will never purchase another one.
Look, you do understand that I don't try to convince you, or anyone, which battery to use, right? I'm not one of those who fall in love with what they got on their Jeeps.
I'm talking about a principal.

I once bought a stainless steel kettle, which got rust spots on the outside withing 2~3 months. This was a high quality kettle from a good manufacturer. They replaced it with a new one which didn't rust.
Then, I needed another kettle for the office.
If I had your approach, I'd have bought another make.
The kettle was of overall good quality and I liked it. I assumed they had a bad production batch (a different stainless alloy than they ordered), and bought the same again. I have both kettles, one for 4 and the other for 2 years, both function well, neither has any rust.

Giving up on a good product because one failed, is reacting emotionally rather than rationally.
If someone had a problem with his Gobi rack, it doesn't mean that all the Gobi racks are bad.
Use whichever battery you like, it's just not fair to criticize a whole product because of your one case experience.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too would recommend diehard platinum or odyssey over Optima. I've had both - Optima (dual reds) and a Platinum. When I need to upgrade my '14 - it will be a platinum.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sea bass
I too would recommend diehard platinum or odyssey over Optima. I've had both - Optima (dual reds) and a Platinum. When I need to upgrade my '14 - it will be a platinum.
The yellow suits our Jeeps, the red not so much.

Last edited by GJeep; 05-08-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not going to continue to beat this up but you recieved a new kettle. They stood behind their product and made it right. If Optima did the same for me and the new battery went on to work for 5 plus years (that's what I easily get out of other batteries) then my opinion would be different but unlike the kettle manufacturer Optima did nothing so I will not risk my money on another.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
Really ?

Well... what 'AGM' means, is -- Absorbent Glass Matt, and that's exactly what Optima batteries have...

Attachment 609802

The same "reasoning" goes for the one with one battery which was drained. There are many variables. No one said that you can't ruin an Optima, or any battery, buy abusing it. He didn't compare it with another battery at the exact same conditions.
A single case, especially when the battery was abused, proves nothing.

Why bash a product without first studying the issue?
People cling to their opinions because they don't know that they don't know.
Yeah. really !

Let it go dude. There are years of complaints on Optimas from all different types of forums from tuners, to hot rodders, the Muscle car guys to big bro truck groups. Technology has evolved and Optimas are old news in a really cool looking red ,blue, or yellow package.

I think you might be the one stuck with your opinion on what you know or think you know.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GJeep
Look, you do understand that I don't try to convince you, or anyone, which battery to use, right? I'm not one of those who fall in love with what they got on their Jeeps.
Yet you have 9 posts in is thread pushing your flavor of batteries.

Everyone has to make their own decisions - and a lot of that is based on reviews, real world issues or satisfied customers from research we do this forum, or other resources we might frequent.

I originally came from the diesel truck world (when I had my dual red tops). While they worked fine for me at the time - I had many friends in my circle with failures. I have not heard of any such failures from odyssey produced batteries. I'm sure there are some out there without a doubt - but not to the extent I've read and continue to read with Optimas.

Why take the chance? Are you saying optimas are better batteries than odysseys? I know optimas are cheaper to purchase, but spread that cost over 5 years, the added peace of mind is worth it to me.

The OP might be fine purchasing an Optima, but will also most certainly be satisfied getting an odyssey.

Quick Reply: Which Optima battey ?