Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Which Optima battey ?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
The Optimas are old news. Get a gel battery such as the Sears Diehard Platinum or an Oddysey (spelling)
Optima had QC problems for a while, when they started a new production line in Mexico.
The bugs had been solved long ago, yet the myth goes on...

The Yellow top is the right one for our engines/alternators. It is a very good gel battery.

Last edited by GJeep; 05-05-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep

Optima had QC problems for a while, when they started a new production line in Mexico.
The bugs had been solved long ago, yet the myth goes on...

The Yellow top is the right one for our engines/alternators. It is a very good gel battery.
I agree. I had absolutely no problems with my last yellowtop Optima.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I agree. I had absolutely no problems with my last yellowtop Optima.
I have dual Yellow Tops, my son has dual Yellow Tops, friends have Yellow Tops, including the 4x4 mods shop owner who did my lift and other mods -- no one had any problem.
My Jeep was parked while I was recently abroad for 12 days.
The alarm and the GPS locator (constantly transmitting) were on. When I returned, the engine started like it was a new battery.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:47 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comment to the Sears or Odyssey batteries. Optimus I've never had an issue myself or have had one returned either.

Red Tops are for normal operation

Yellow Tops if you have accessories. Winches, lights, amp etc.

Blue Top is identical to the Yellow without the warranty.

Michael @ Level 10
Old 05-06-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Level 10 Off Road
Red Tops are for normal operation
Yellow Tops if you have accessories. Winches, lights, amp etc.
Blue Top is identical to the Yellow without the warranty.
The Yellow Top has more Ampere/Hour, so it's better than the Red Top.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would honestly stay away from optima. But everyone has their own opinion. Just do some Google searches and reviews. Then look up something like an Odyssey, Sears die hard, energizer agm, Duracell agm, northstar agm, deka, juice box battery, or xs power. Northstar or xs power are going to hands down be the best. They have huge brass connections and have the highest discharge/recharge on the market.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bombout800
I would honestly stay away from optima. But everyone has their own opinion. Just do some Google searches and reviews.
There's sometimes a bad battery on the most expensive cars.
No mass-produced item is free of a small percentage of lemons.
You see this small percentage in reviews much more than you see the thousands of happy buyers who have no complaints.
I, too, read reviews, but take them with a grain of salt. There are also plenty of false reviews or articles, planted by a company or its competitors.
See how many, on this forum -- even this thread -- are happy with the Yellow Top, vs the very few who wouldn't buy it.

Before I bought the first Yellow Top I read reviews, but also checked around with fellow Jeepers and with three 4x4 mod shop owners -- the experience with those batteries had been very good.
My own experience with 4 Yellow Tops (dual batteries in two vehicles) has been very good.

Reliability is my first consideration for any mod or part.
As some of the places I stick my nose in can be dangerous if stuck for hours or overnight, I pick mods/parts which minimize the chance to get stuck.
For that reason, the battery has to be gel and deep discharge. Among those, I chose the Yellow Top.

Last edited by GJeep; 05-07-2015 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2 cents. Stay away from Optima. I had a red top in my TJ and it was dead as a door nail 1 month outside of the 3 year warranty. I contacted Optima and they wouldn't do anything for me. I've had stock batteries last way longer than that. For an expensive battery I feel this is unacceptable. There are better options out there!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeep801
..... Stay away from Optima. I had a red top in my TJ and it was dead as a door nail 1 month outside of the 3 year warranty. I contacted Optima and they wouldn't do anything for me .....
Which, and how many companies would give free service after the warranty ended ?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

After a month? Really? Chrysler helped me out with a transmission in my pick up after the warranty expired. I guess some companies stand behind their products and some cross their fingers until the warranty expires.

Quick Reply: Which Optima battey ?