Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Which Optima battey ?

Old 05-03-2015, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Optima battey ?

Going to swap out my battery to a Optima battery. I am running a 9500 Smittybilt winch and a couple of external light nothing crazy, so I am wondering which one you all might suggest
Red, Yellow or blue ,,,,

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-03-2015, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would get a yellow. Check out this thread, hopefully it's okay to put links to other forums. The thread is older, but probably still relevant. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...a-battery.html
Old 05-03-2015, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a red top, my jeep is not a really a daily driver and it didn't last a year. I think it was a combination of the fact it didn't like to sit and I ran it down once listening to the radio while working on the jeep, it was never the same after that. I traded it under warranty for a yellow top, it more of a true deep cycle battery, it's been fine so far. Over all I think I will go another route next time, if you take a look around the forums you will find lots of complaints about the Optimas. I have not been impressed. Just my .02!
Old 05-03-2015, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Optimas are old news. Get a gel battery such as the Sears Diehard Platinum or an Oddysey (spelling)
Old 05-03-2015, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya inactually just replaced my battery last week. I did some research and talked with a knowledgeable person at a car parts store. Optima quality has slipped apparently to the point they have lost their reputation. I almost got a gel diehard myself but the warranty is 3 years vs 5 years for a standard battery. Difference in price was about $50.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
The Optimas are old news. Get a gel battery such as the Sears Diehard Platinum or an Oddysey (spelling)
Yes. What he said ^^^
I have an Optima red top and it works great, but I bought it in a pinch when my factory battery failed and left me stranded.
After a little research I am sure the Diehard gel battery is the better battery. Optima batteries have a high failure rate in recent years.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow great info guess I am looking for a different option thanks for all the info !

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-03-2015, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x2 I live in Ontario Canada no sears nearby still sell that battery so I went with an Odyssey and love it .... Winch, several lights, compressor etc it's been great I purchased it going on 3 yrs ago now
Old 05-04-2015, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

You're correct that Optima's are old news. Back in 1996-2008 when they were manufactured at a Plant in Aurora Colorado they were a great battery and the pioneer of AGM spiral technology. That all stopped when Johnson Control bought the rights, had the workers train Mexican workers then shut down the Aurora facility and moved the manufacturing to Mexico. Nuff said about that.
The Sears DieHard Platinum and the Oddysey are not GelCell batteries but rather absorbent glass mat (AGM). Both these batteries are manufactured by EnerSys Corp, and both are very good, with pretty much the same specs, although the DieHard Platinum has a lower price tag with a bit better warranty.
I've had the DieHard Platinum in the wifes' 07 JKU since 2009 and it's still going strong.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yellow top for 2+ years and never a problem

Quick Reply: Which Optima battey ?