Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Opinions on IPF headlight conversion

Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first batch to be released was a nightmare..... we have 2 '07's we installed them in. One JK had bulbs burning out all the time and the connectors (yes the newer style that ARB released) were always coming undone causing the lights to flicker. This actually damaged the factory wire on the drivers side to where I had to daisy chain from the pasenger headlight for power. I cut off the factory harness and well as the IPF harness and direct wired eveything up..... never had another problem since.

Funny thing is on our other JK, we've never had any issues.

Bottom line.... I recommend them as I've heard most of the folks that had issues are all in the past. They are definately a big improvment over stock. Just be prepared that if a bulb does burn out, dont think you can just go to your local car parts store to get a replacment.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Would the Hella E-codes or Delta xenon be a better choice?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to look at all the options in a cost basis to improvement. each will be different some with a higher deg of improvement, but is the cost worth the slight upgrade? and well also how much you willing to plop down for them. I did a bit of research and there are cheaper options then the IPF and more costly up to $600 for lights. But for mid line and ease of install and not having to worry about issues with wiring/PCM (right word?) i found the IPF will achieve what i needed for a moderate price.

Keep us updated on what you hop on!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Just installed mine yesterday with silverstar ultra bulbs. Way brighter! I wouldn'y waist my money on the kit that includes the bulbs. It"s something like $68 for the one without bulbs and $180 with. I spent $56 on my bulbs, total of $126!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blue project
Just installed mine yesterday with silverstar ultra bulbs. Way brighter! I wouldn'y waist my money on the kit that includes the bulbs. It"s something like $68 for the one without bulbs and $180 with. I spent $56 on my bulbs, total of $126!
You have any pics?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue project
Where did you puchase just lights and harness and no bulbs?

Cheers
Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
What us it about the bulbs the kit comes with that everyone complains about? Brightness? Color? Or do they just not last?
I'd say both brightness and color. They could be brighter and the light color could be more white. But right out of the box they are BETTER. Anything else is just what you like or think is better. I would still recommend buying them. And if you can just get the wires and the housings, that might be the best.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy
Where did you puchase just lights and harness and no bulbs?

Cheers

You can get them with out bulbs at 4wheel parts or 4 wheel drive hardware for about $68 (same owners, 4wd is Jeep only).

Then get the Philips H4 9003 XPS2 X-treme bulbs from Amazon for $29.

You will have a hard time finding a better set-up for less cash than that.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll look it up!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ludski
quick question, sorry for jacking thread, BUT,
deltas say xenon bulbs. but they dont have ballasts. its just plug and play into the headlight from the stock wiring. it makes me believe its NOT xenon?
They don't have ballasts because they aren't hid's

Quick Reply: Opinions on IPF headlight conversion