Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Old man needs better sound!!!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old man needs better sound!!!

I would like to retain my basic stock head unit in my 2013 Jeep Sport 2dr. I have very little knowledge when it comes to stereo systems so hang in there. A friend of mine sold me a Audiocontrol LC6I line out converter that he said I would need between my head unit & amplifier. I know there are cheaper ones, but he gave me a good deal. From what I understand, I should take a set of RCA's and cut the ends off one end, and then tie into my rear speaker wires, then plug the RCA's into my amp? How do the speaker wires for the sound bar run? Do they come down from the dash along the transmission tunnel or down along the doors? I bought 4 Rockford Fosgate 6.3/4" Punch speakers and a set of Polk tweeters to replace the factory stuff.
Thanks for your input!!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't cut the ends off of the RCA cables and splice them in that is the exact wrong way to do it. Amps need a different frequency than regular door speakers that's why you bought the line output converter LOC. You will have wires on your loc that tap into the factory speaker wires. If you are powering door speakers you will tap into the front and rear speaker wires. That is assuming your amp is 4 channel and your loc is 4 channel. The RCA wires will run from the loc to the amp and the speaker wires run from the amp to the speakers. The amp also must have a large power wire run from the battery a good ground and switched/remote wire.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also I would run all new high quality speaker wire and use terminal ends designed for car audio (the gold ones)
Old 01-08-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd do it once and ditch the headunit. I wasn't happy at all with amp/ speakers off stock headunit. It had no mid/ low sound at all. Just sounded like laptop speakers.

I'd recommend you run speakers off new headunit, and a small sub off a mono amp for good full sound. I ended up doing this in two steps and paid out the ass for it.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

I meant to say splice into the rear speaker wires and plug the RCA's into the line out converter then go to the amp.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kh202
I'd do it once and ditch the headunit. I wasn't happy at all with amp/ speakers off stock headunit. It had no mid/ low sound at all. Just sounded like laptop speakers. I'd recommend you run speakers off new headunit, and a small sub off a mono amp for good full sound. I ended up doing this in two steps and paid out the ass for it.
I'd actually get a 5 channel amp and let the amp push all speakers. Would definitely do a new head unit though.

But yes tap the loc into the speaker wires then you have to run 2 sets of rcas into the amp if you have a 4 channel amp. If the loc is only 2 channel then you could technically put y connectors on one RCA and split it to the front and rear inputs for the amp. Might not sound the best but it will work.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

By running all your speakers off the rear chan I assume your loc and amp 2 ch which means all your speakers will be rear speakers technically. You will have louder speakers but the quality will suffer. You truly need a 4 ch amp and a 4 ch head unit or loc to get more sound and good quality. If you insist on running off the rear ch just tap your loc into the rear speaker wires, I think they run on the passenger side.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:30 AM
JK Newbie

I have a alpine 4 channel amp & the LOC is a 6 channel. I do have an Alpine head unit I had in my previous vehicle, but it is a single din, and don't like the dash kit with the storage box. I did want to keep it looking stock, but if it would make that much difference I would go ahead and put it in. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newjkman
I have a alpine 4 channel amp & the LOC is a 6 channel. I do have an Alpine head unit I had in my previous vehicle, but it is a single din, and don't like the dash kit with the storage box. I did want to keep it looking stock, but if it would make that much difference I would go ahead and put it in. Thanks for the help!!!
Be careful, take your time and do research. If you keep your stock HU, DO NOT tap into the rear speaker outputs since they have limited bass output and decreased volume output with the top off.

Follow the other advice and use an aftermarket head unit. He is right, the stock one sounds like garbage. You can get a double DIN touch screen without Nav for a few hundred bucks that will sound better, has better BT connectivity, better iPod/iPhone control and will work with your steering wheel controls. I spent $500 on Pioneers top of the line DVD touch screen at the front face comes off for the times I leave the top off. I have never used the DVD player, but the iPhone controls are excellent.

I'm and old guy too and if I were you, I'd regroup and do it right the first time. Ie: new head unit, separate amps (use the one you have - 2 channels to power the front speakers, HU power the sound bar, 2 channels bridge for the sub or get a new 5 channel amp), component speakers in front, the RF coax are fine for your sound bar but not for the front, and figure out a suitable sub (in stock location, under the back seats or under the front seats). The closer you can locate your sub to the front seats the better bass you will have with the top off. Search for Dave, he makes a killer rear seat box and I have my subs under my front seats. The two best locations in my experience. Do yourself a favor and do it right.

Last edited by Mattk11; 01-09-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Be careful, take your time and do research. If you keep your stock HU, DO NOT tap into the rear speaker outputs since they have limited bass output and decreased volume output with the top off. Follow the other advice and use an aftermarket head unit. He is right, the stock one sounds like garbage. You can get a double DIN touch screen without Nav for a few hundred bucks that will sound better, has better BT connectivity, better iPod/iPhone control and will work with your steering wheel controls. I spent $500 on Pioneers top of the line DVD touch screen at the front face comes off for the times I leave the top off. I have never used the DVD player, but the iPhone controls are excellent. I'm and old guy too and if I were you, I'd regroup and do it right the first time. Ie: new head unit, separate amps (use the one you have - 2 channels to power the front speakers, HU power the sound bar, 2 channels bridge for the sub or get a new 5 channel amp), component speakers in front, the RF coax are fine for your sound bar but not for the front, and figure out a suitable sub (in stock location, under the back seats or under the front seats). The closer you can locate your sub to the front seats the better bass you will have with the top off. Search for Dave, he makes a killer rear seat box and I have my subs under my front seats. The two best locations in my experience. Do yourself a favor and do it right.
I agree in a few things. However if you keep the stock HU then I would tap into the right channels. Keep it as close to stock as possible as you'll really gain no better sound tapping it any other way. If you didn't care for a touchscreen or DVD then kenwood makes a nice double din radio that still has all the Bluetooth and pandora and everything else and can be found for $140. It has front, rear, and sub preouts which is perfect for hooking to a 5 channel amp to run all 4 speakers and even a sub. No splicing and direct connection to amp. I

I personally don't see the need for a detachable face on a double din as you screw the mounting brackets into the side of the radio and then screw the radio into the factory mounting points in the dash which are behind the face trim. Takes a lot more work and time to rip it out. But I have an aftermarket remote start and alarm so a slight bump in my jeep and it goes crazy and alerts my keychain.

So you can do it right both ways but I would double tap on pair of speakers to run all 4 if you don't have to.

Quick Reply: Old man needs better sound!!!