Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Offroad lights

Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offroad lights

So, I just ordered myself an MBRP windshield light bar, but now I need to decide on some lights. Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced lights for the bar? I've been looking for lights in the 6" range but I don't need anything crazy bright as this mod is 60/40 aesthetics for me. Also, would it be difficult or inadvisable to wire them in with the fogs?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the Hella 500 lights fro, walmart for less than $40 a pair. They work great. Have them wired up on a rocker switch on my daystar switch panel.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd keep them independent of the fogs. Foglights are low to the road with a wide flat beam to illuminate the road under the fog. If you are in fog and have the overhead lights on too you might just be blinded and render the fog lights useless.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

i am using the hella 500's from walmart also and guess they are decent lights for the price. agree with above poster about wiring them to the fog lights. i wired mine to the fog light switch cause i lost my fogs with the new bumper and thought it was a good ideal at the time. but they go off if i turn my lights on bright
Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

I didn't even consider what would happen in fog, thanks for the advice on that. Any other wiring options? Or would you just suggest buying a switch panel?
Old 01-23-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

I got some KC slimlights and I think they are awesome. 6" windshield mounted. Kit comes with wireing harness, relay, switch, everything! And there's a really easy place next to the steering shaft that's easy to get through the firewall. They were like $160 or so, so that's 4x as much is the hellas from walmart. I used to have some on my dodge durango but wasn't to pleased with them so I went ahead and dropped a little more on the KC's. Although one thing I don't like is the new style stone guards that come on the KC lights now. With the big KC, I liked the old ones better. But I don't leave the stone guard on anyways so.. I think when I get some lights for the bumper I might try wither IPF or Lightforce, just to switch it up a little. Hope it won't look to stupid with 2 different light brands on the front of the jeep? But I figure it won't matter if I leave the stone guards off on the widshield KCs anyways.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

The Hella 500s are a great value. For about $75 you get a complete kit with 2 lights, bulbs, mounting hardware, wiring harness and switch. You you need to install them is some flex tubing and basic hand tools. If you want performance lighting check out IPF, PIAA and Lightforce. These are much more expensive than the Hellas but their performance is far superior. There are many other brands of quality lights out there but I will not comment on them as I have no hands on experience with them.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

My .02, I have cheapie daystars, but I'm saving up for some HID's especially if you are only running one battery. A couple of magazines have said good things about the RR HIDs. If you go with anything other than a HID, I would also recommend a relay.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the Hella 500 FF's on my windshield. They were about $75 at AutoZone. They come with the relay and a switch, but like a few of the above posts, I am running them through my Daystar switch panel. IMHO wiring them through a relay is the ONLY way to go. I know it's illegal, but mine are wired straight to the battery so I can pretty much turn them on any time I want to. I plan to go with at least one set of PIAAs or something similar once I get my new bumpers on. I also plan to have at least one set in the back.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll agree with the Hella 500's. I installed the on Red's JK and they were much brighter than I expected. They're also pretty thin. Don't know if you're trying to give off that "Beefy" look or not. For the money it's hard to say no.

If you want to spend some big bucks though look into the Lightforce lights. They're probably the best on the market but they can be prohibitively expensive.

Quick Reply: Offroad lights