Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Off Road Lights

Old 09-03-2008, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big time! I have a brother in Alaska, he is a Lawyer.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard and seen a lot of good things with the Baja Design lights, and if you get the halogen lights they aren't much differently priced than the KC lights. Also they have a wide variety of styles to pick from (fog/cornering, wide driving, driving, spot) so you can get a light that fits exactly what you need.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by camden19
I have! These people don't understand what its like to have an animal the size of a horse jump out of the bushes right in front of your vehicle while your going down the highway and having it total your vehicle and having a full grown moose come through your windscreen and get wrapped around your face and proceed to kick you death. Any money spent on lights in the north , is money well spent! 578 road kill moose in our area last winter !
I dunno man, if you are really concerned about safety, I would suggest upgrading the brakes or simply not over-driving your lights. I grew up in the sticks, and having anything jump out at you coming around a corning is pretty much getting hit (brighter lights wouldn't matter). Straight roads are a little different and probably the safety concern you talking about, but when it comes down to it, you can always just drive slower.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cdecker79
I dunno man, if you are really concerned about safety, I would suggest upgrading the brakes or simply not over-driving your lights. I grew up in the sticks, and having anything jump out at you coming around a corning is pretty much getting hit (brighter lights wouldn't matter). Straight roads are a little different and probably the safety concern you talking about, but when it comes down to it, you can always just drive slower.
I was doing 100kph on a dry highway at night, wintertime so should have seen this small deer against the snow but he was running so damned fast out of the ditch that I had no time to do anything. Sometimes stuff just happens. Wasn't outdriving the headlights either.

$10K later in repairs. What you don't see is the damage to the battery, wiring, rad, or the fact that it pushed the body back and the passenger door is stuck shut. Better lights wouldn't have done a bit of good in this case.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cdecker79
When it comes to moose, and other larger animals all your stock lights will get is the legs which is very difficult to see at night (especially on a dirt or gravel road it is brown on brown). The aftermarket lights tend to be able to give a good pattern on the road, and at the same time light slightly higher so you can see the eye reflecting back wich is the easiest part to see. I lived in Montana for many years, and with stock lights I never had any issue seeing deer, cows, etc... that were in the road, but I was always afraid of seeing any moose, or horses in the road. I have seen people hit these before and they just come in the windsheild, and there is no way to light them up better without aftermarket lights.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Littlejon
When it comes to moose, and other larger animals all your stock lights will get is the legs which is very difficult to see at night (especially on a dirt or gravel road it is brown on brown). The aftermarket lights tend to be able to give a good pattern on the road, and at the same time light slightly higher so you can see the eye reflecting back wich is the easiest part to see. I lived in Montana for many years, and with stock lights I never had any issue seeing deer, cows, etc... that were in the road, but I was always afraid of seeing any moose, or horses in the road. I have seen people hit these before and they just come in the windsheild, and there is no way to light them up better without aftermarket lights.
I grew up in northern New Hampshire. Moose are definitely hard to see at night. They are very dark and their head is above the normal headlight pattern. Extra lighting is very helpful, but to imply that you have to buy $1000 lights to insure the safety of your family is a bit much.
Originally Posted by ward adams
Well go big or go home.

Last edited by ROKLIMO; 09-05-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ROKLIMO
I grew up in northern New Hampshire. Moose are definitely hard to see at night. They are very dark and their head is above the normal headlight pattern. Extra lighting is very helpful, but to imply that you have to buy $1000 lights to insure the safety of your family is a bit much.

I don't think you need to go with $1,000 lights, but you should look at the optics of the light more than the wattage, or price. Get what works the best for your situation, and not what is the cheapest.

Oftentimes I see people quoting the candle power to compare lights, or bulb wattage, but these can often times distort what is really happening. A laserpen has a very high candle power, however I wouldn't mount it to the bumper and use it just because the beam pattern isn't very usable. Light manufacturers know that this is often used though so they will distort the reflector, or throw a higher wattage bulb in just to make it appear better but in reality it isn't. Also once you go above a 100 watt bulb they tend to have a very short life, and if you hit any signifigant bumps the filaments tend to break.

Hella lights tend to be be very cheap and get moisture behind the reflectors, and also have very poor optics. If it were my vehicle I would either buy the IPF 900xs, or buy a set of hallogen Baja Designs lights with one being a driving beam and the other a spot for a good spread and also good distance.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I end up spending a lot of time driving roads in Northern Alberta and BC. When you start dealing with tracts of wilderness on this scale, there can be an obscene population density of large four-legged herbivores. A full grown moose can ruin your entire week, even if you're driving a one ton. When you look at something the size of a JK, a Caribou or Elk can do almost as much damage.

We're not just talking about damage to your grille or fender flares here. When a large animal comes up over your hood and impacts the windshield, that's potentially fatal.

Good auxiliary lighting makes an incredible difference. To my mind, there are three ways good lights will help you:

-Getting light further down the road to give you more reaction time.

-Getting more light out into the ditches so that you have a better chance of seeing Bambi before he makes a dash in front of you.

-Getting a reasonable brightness of light up at the level that you have a chance to see eye shine coming back from a moose.

All of this is completely valid even before we start talking about Wood Buffalo. They're a whole new category of road hazard. Those buggers aren't even smart enought to realize that it will hurt if they get hit by a truck.

They're even harder to see than a moose. And they're BIG

Folks who haven't done a good quantity of night driving in remote areas just haven't had the exposure necessary to see just how much of a hazard wildlife can pose.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

i ended up going for teh KC skimlights (6") i think they look great on the stock JK. they may be a bit small as it "grows" but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I haven't used them on the trails yet, but looking forward to it. thanks all for your advice!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	New lights1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	12663  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

With the KC slimlites which do ya'll recomend on the windshield. the driving or the long range?

Quick Reply: Off Road Lights