Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Oem fog lights

Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oem fog lights

I have been reading quite a bit of threads about being able to run the OEM fog lights while on high beam. As it seem's most everybody knows it is actually controlled through a computer and not a relay like the old days. I ended up running a fused hot from the battery to a daystar switch panel, and just soldered them in line with the stock fog light harness. With my fingers crossed flipping the factory fog light switch and daystar switch on individually and together, everything works fine. No backfeeds or throwing codes or anything. You can still use the OEM switch to have them cut off with high beam, or run at all times with acc. switch. Just thought I would share.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know. Sounds risky to me. As you mentioned, the old relay days or over. Atleast for stock systems. I used jeep circuits to trigger relays. And even then I incorperated protective devices. But I would never back-feed a circuit.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You ca use blocking diodes from Radio Shack to ensure you don't backfeed anything and cause a problem
Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea... I agree. Seems very risky. I'd be isolating that circuit via relay if you're going to run a separate power to those lights. Pretty simple to put in and a safe bet.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

If that were me, I'd at least put diodes on the OEM wiring (at a point where your splice of new wires onto said OEM wiring is sitting between the OEM lamps and said diodes)... to prevent current from flowing "the wrong way" back on the circuit that's controlled by the computer and OEM steering column switch.

And I'd run the battery power to a relay, which in turn would send power down the spliced wires to the lamps when the new switch is turned on... and run power to the switch from a fuse box source, not the battery. I don't like the idea of direct battery power through a small aftermarket switch immediately to the current-drawing device (in this case, the lamps) in a vehicle... even if you do have a fuse inline.

As noted in other threads on the subject: these measures are very inexpensive insurance... the downside of not implementing them is too steep, IMHO.

I see now that others have chimed in as well with like advice... ignore it at your own risk.

Last edited by Robert K; 02-15-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah there are diodes in line of stock harness. Just didn't really think to mention it! Sorry! I forget that you guys on here do know a little more then most people! haha! thats the only way you wouldnt backfeed the system. I will keep posted. I drove around all day today. with them on and no problems
Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ncatlin
Yeah there are diodes in line of stock harness. Just didn't really think to mention it! Sorry! I forget that you guys on here do know a little more then most people! haha! thats the only way you wouldnt backfeed the system. I will keep posted. I drove around all day today. with them on and no problems
Not saying anything about your skill level (because I don't even know enough to judge anyone), BUT... would you notice anything if there was an issue?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, actually, I think i would. Now that I am on my third jeep build, two truck builds, a 1979 ford frame off restoration, Oh and also my 8 years of daily work as building motorcycles from the ground up, A victory motorcycle master tech and hd certified technician. and I'm only 26..... So yeah I am perfectly capable to see if my fog lights arent working anymore. anymore dumb questions? Didn't mean to come across the wrong way in this post but I would imagine if you are someone that is brave enough to tackle something like this on your own, you would have the knowledge of what protective measures you need to take. Honestly, being on here for less then a week, I have just come to the conclusion that I have underestimated you guys on here with your skill levels. I will be sure that I give thorough instructions on any future modifications. I am used to talking to some guys on bike and boat forums that wouldn't know a mountain from a mole hill.

Last edited by ncatlin; 02-16-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ncatlin
Yeah, actually, I think i would. Now that I am on my third jeep build, two truck builds, a 1979 ford frame off restoration, Oh and also my 8 years of daily work as building motorcycles from the ground up, A victory motorcycle master tech and hd certified technician. and I'm only 26..... So yeah I am perfectly capable to see if my fog lights arent working anymore. anymore dumb questions? Didn't mean to come across the wrong way in this post but I would imagine if you are someone that is brave enough to tackle something like this on your own, you would have the knowledge of what protective measures you need to take. Honestly, being on here for less then a week, I have just come to the conclusion that I have underestimated you guys on here with your skill levels. I will be sure that I give thorough instructions on any future modifications. I am used to talking to some guys on bike and boat forums that wouldn't know a mountain from a mole hill.
I think that what riptide was trying to say is: if you had a problemb, it would probably be to late. You do have a long list of acomplishments. But I do not see where any of these vehicles would have a computer like the JK's
Old 02-17-2010, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Your right. The vehicles don't. The custom bikes are the easiest electrical task ever! Minimal electrical skill could wire one. But the current hd electrical systems are just as complex as my jk, and the victory's are more complex then hd. From the engine management systems to the lighting system that drops down from 12v. to 6v L.E.D. systems v.i.a. a turn signal control module. and some models come stock with hid systems, amplified stereo systems. These bikes dont use relays anymore either. But this isn't a bike forum. No hard feeling here. It all just stems from me not putting in the info. that I should have with inquiring minds like myself reading. Again, sorry for the Drama! Just a newbie trying to get to know my new obsession.

Quick Reply: Oem fog lights