Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

OEM Electronic Swaybar Disconnect

Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-Lo
It's only 4-lo on the newer ones. I guess the old ones were different? I'm wondering if anyone has any indication as to what makes the power disconnect fail. Is it just poor engineering? Trying to disconnect and/or reconnect when on uneven ground?
This is from the 2012 owner's manual:

"To disconnect the stabilizer/sway bar, shift to either 4H
or 4L and press the SWAY BAR switch to obtain the
off-road position."

Is this in error?

The mode of failure usually is corrosion in the connector on the e-disco, and failure of a component on the circuit board inside the e-disco, often due to water intrusion.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water, makes sense!

Mine just failed last weekend and it would not re-engage. Had a long snowy drive on the highway home and it was a little sketchy at times. I will see if Chrysler will do anything about it, and thank you for the tip. That manual conversion is awesome.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4-Lo

It's only 4-lo on the newer ones. I guess the old ones were different? I'm wondering if anyone has any indication as to what makes the power disconnect fail. Is it just poor engineering? Trying to disconnect and/or reconnect when on uneven ground?
My 13' disconnects in 4H &4L. The first time I disconnected it had some trouble reconnecting. I had to steer back and forth a few times to get it to reengage. Its worked every time since though. "fingers crossed"

Anyone ever tried coating the whole connector with liquid electrical tape? It seems to be the main source of failures.

Quick Reply: OEM Electronic Swaybar Disconnect