Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

OBDII -- Handheld device or PC?

Old 06-06-2007, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII -- Handheld device or PC?

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of picking up an Equus/Innova 3130 CAN OBDII scan tool, but then wondered if I wouldn't be better with a PC application instead. From what I gather, the PC versions can also give you performance metrics (something like Auto Enginuity's SpeedTracer). What do you guys think? What's the best investment?

Thanks,
js.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
I was thinking of picking up an Equus/Innova 3130 CAN OBDII scan tool, but then wondered if I wouldn't be better with a PC application instead. From what I gather, the PC versions can also give you performance metrics (something like Auto Enginuity's SpeedTracer). What do you guys think? What's the best investment?
Never mind... I decided to buy Auto Enginuity's PC application, including the Chrysler expansion pack. I like the idea of getting a baseline before I change the muffler, add the jet chip, add the snorkel, etc., etc. :-)

I'll let you guys know what I find...

js.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like a nice tool and nice software. Make sure the pack includes model year 2007. The website indicated it was up to 2006. I thought the price was decent too.

Clickety
Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dang yeah that looks sweet...I'll be interested in hearing how that works for you -- and especially if it works better than a hand held tool
Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default OBD scan tool

I read in the paper today that Murray's has OBD scan tools for loan, with a deposit. If you are looking to check fault codes, this might be the way to go.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Former Vendor

I would waste so much time on one of those things. Looking at data, analyzing. God forbid that you can export it to some type of database. I'd never get any sleep.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
Never mind... I decided to buy Auto Enginuity's PC application, including the Chrysler expansion pack. I like the idea of getting a baseline before I change the muffler, add the jet chip, add the snorkel, etc., etc. :-)

I'll let you guys know what I find...

js.
We never heard from you on this. How does it work for you?

Quick Reply: OBDII -- Handheld device or PC?