Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

OBD-II Suggestions

Old 07-28-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OBD-II Suggestions

I'm looking for an OBD-II code reader, preferably laptop based. I have found them online, but the biggest problem I am having in picking one is as follows...

I need to link up to the ESP/BAS/ABS system to get freeze frame data, and the cause of the trouble codes, has anyone ever pulled those diagnostics? Is it a matter of finding the sensors (Wheel Speed, Dynamics, ETC) and checking signals from there?

I know super chips does CEL, I need a more fully funtional setup.

Any advice regarding this matter will be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Maybe I can re-iterate.

What is the method to running diagnostics for the ABS/BAS/ESP systems. The lights are illuminated in the dash, however the steering wheel is straight(with AEV procal), wheel sensors are all plugged in and wires are not chaffed.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up an ELM 327 USB adapter from Amazon, very cheap. Check out ScanXL from Palmerperformance.com, it supports a very wide range of ODBII data (229 parameters).
Old 07-28-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Thanks! Ill look into it
Old 07-28-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use an ELM 327 bluetooth adaptor along with Torque Pro android app installed on HTC EVO, works great.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blakspire
I'm looking for an OBD-II code reader, preferably laptop based. I have found them online, but the biggest problem I am having in picking one is as follows...

I need to link up to the ESP/BAS/ABS system to get freeze frame data, and the cause of the trouble codes, has anyone ever pulled those diagnostics? Is it a matter of finding the sensors (Wheel Speed, Dynamics, ETC) and checking signals from there?

I know super chips does CEL, I need a more fully funtional setup.

Any advice regarding this matter will be appreciated.
All you need is a professional one, not a cheap $100-$300 dollar one that only reads the codes. Its rare that someone has one to alap top. Mine i still have from when I was working on cars, cost me a grand, can read all that. However certain codes are blocked by the manufacturer so you HAVE to go to the dealer to get them pulled. Just remember the codes only tell you what sensor was triggered or failed to work, not necessarily whats wrong. So it tells you where to look. Pulling codes is just that, pulling information. Interpreting this information and verifying what is actually wrong without throwing parts at it, that is diagnosing and can only be done by a person.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gearheadette
All you need is a professional one, not a cheap $100-$300 dollar one that only reads the codes. Its rare that someone has one to alap top. Mine i still have from when I was working on cars, cost me a grand, can read all that. However certain codes are blocked by the manufacturer so you HAVE to go to the dealer to get them pulled. Just remember the codes only tell you what sensor was triggered or failed to work, not necessarily whats wrong. So it tells you where to look. Pulling codes is just that, pulling information. Interpreting this information and verifying what is actually wrong without throwing parts at it, that is diagnosing and can only be done by a person.
All great info, thank you much. I need to have a general idea of what is throwing this code in order to piece it together from there. Be it a bad ground, broken wire, or whatever. I've got a pretty good idea of what it may be, but before I tear the center console apart, I need to know for sure.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Anytime
Old 07-28-2012, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gearheadette
True. A cheap one won't read those special sensors. My ScanTool won't even read MPG correctly. It's fine for basic stuff though, but not specialized.

I think your best bet is to go to a dealer to get a code reading, and then fix it yourself from there.

Last edited by TheTerminator; 07-28-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
True. A cheap one won't read those special sensors. My ScanTool won't even read MPG correctly. It's fine for basic stuff though, but not specialized.

I think your best bet is to go to a dealer to get a code reading, and then fix it yourself from there.
I have a load of these types of issues coming at me due to a recent swim the Jeep took. A good scan tool is a must. Appeciate the insight though.

Quick Reply: OBD-II Suggestions