Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Not starting at random times

Old 10-13-2016, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not starting at random times

At times I will get in and try to start the engine but there is no power. If I wait a few minutes it will eventually start.

Today was a little bit different as my dash lit up but the radio would not come on. I attempted to start it but did not cooperate for about five minutes.

Worth pulling the battery and getting it tested? Are there other issues I need to be concerned about?
Old 10-13-2016, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it an Auto ? There's a sensor that occasionally and mistakenly thinks the shifter isn't in Park when you turn the ignition, preventing a start. The solution is the hit/wiggle the shifter, and hey presto......
Old 10-14-2016, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Battery light is "on".

It is an auto and next time it happens I will try wiggle of the shifter. Gotta be more to it.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the tightness and cleanliness of the battery connections first (free). Then if necessary have the battery load tested (also free but not the battery if needed).
Old 10-15-2016, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

https://youtu.be/SkftfQ15m54

This was this morning, it's not every start but more than 50% at this point.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks to me like bad battery or battery connection or the dreaded TIPM going out.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:31 AM
JK Newbie

This happened to my sons 08 JK. it was diagnosed as a starter by the local Jeep shop. so we replaced it and the issue was still there. It ended up being a ground wire that was dirty. If I recall correctly it was located on the firewall. Hope this helps out.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When mine had these symptoms, it was a bad starter. To get it to work temporarily, I put a long screw driver onto the side of the starter and gave the screwdriver a few smacks with a hammer (couldn't fit hammer near the starter). Then the starter would work for a few cycles.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by westchester
Is it an Auto ? There's a sensor that occasionally and mistakenly thinks the shifter isn't in Park when you turn the ignition, preventing a start. The solution is the hit/wiggle the shifter, and hey presto......
Same here. They think its the neutral safety switch. My battery tests good and it hasnt left me stranded. Only done it twice but they say it could be a cable adjustment. Rolling the dice....

Quick Reply: Not starting at random times